Historic Cougs: Drew Bledsoe

From a legendary college career to near-HOF pro career

Drew+Bledsoe%2C+who+became+the+first+overall+pick+of+the+1993+NFL+Draft%2C+throwing+in+the+snow+

Courtesy of WSU Athletics

Drew Bledsoe, who became the first overall pick of the 1993 NFL Draft, throwing in the snow

Former WSU football coach Mike Price believed his team has just nailed the greatest recruit in program history when, in 1990, he met Ellensburg native and Walla Walla High School quarterback Drew Bledsoe

“He has all the tools to be a great quarterback,” Price said to the Evergreen “He has the arm strength, the quick release, the intelligence and the leadership ability.”

His tools and talent led to Price placing the moniker of “the biggest recruit in Cougar football history” upon Bledsoe, lofty expectations for a kid coming out of high school. 

Upon arriving in Pullman, Bledsoe was not immediately the starter, but by the end of his true freshman season, he was given the reigns of the offense. Ready to make his first start against Oregon State, the tall righty oozed confidence prior to stepping on the field. 

“I feel like I know the offense already and I feel like the team has confidence in me,” Bledsoe said to the Evergreen after being named the starter. 

The 2001 WSU Hall of Fame inductee then began a legendary college career. He finished his rookie season with 1,386 passing yards and nine touchdowns to four interceptions. Entering his sophomore year, he had higher expectations for himself. 

That season, he threw for 2,741 yards with 17 TD and 15 INT. Despite having some ups and downs in his first two seasons, his junior season solidified him as a top draft prospect. 

In his Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year season, he threw for 3,246 yards with 20 TD and 15 INT.  After his junior year he was the single-game and single-season record holder in pass attempts, pass completions, passing yards and total offense at WSU.

Despite being a consensus top pick in the 1993 draft, Bledsoe at least considered returning to Pullman for a final run at a historic WSU season. 

“I’m having so much fun playing here right now, that I could really see myself staying here next year,” Bledsoe said to the Evergreen in November 1992

Sadly for Coug fans, he did not return and became the first overall pick in the 1993 NFL Draft to the New England Patriots. For eight seasons after the draft, he became the headliner of the Patriots’ offense and broke several then-franchise records, including attempts (4,518), completions (2,544) and yards (29,657). 

Unfortunately, his tenure with the team ended sour, as in the fourth quarter of a game against the New York Jets, Bledsoe was hit late and suffered an injury that sidelined him for an extended period of time. 

Taking his place behind center was none other than Tom Brady. Maybe if the guy who replaced him was unable to bring the Patriots to a Super Bowl victory, Bledsoe would reap the benefits of the team’s dynasty and be sitting in the NFL Hall of Fame, but alas, that is all hypothetical. 

After the team committed to Brady long-term, Bledsoe played three seasons with the Buffalo Bills and two with the Dallas Cowboys before retiring. For his time with the Patriots, he was inducted into the team’s Hall of Fame in 2011.

Over his 14-year career, he had a 98-95 QB record, passing for 44,611 yards with 251 TD to 206 INT, he was a four-time Pro Bowler, two-time Second-Team All-Pro and is a Super Bowl Champion, and even neutral fans would say he sits in the hypothetical Hall of Very Good of NFL players. 

Being one of the most talented athletes to come through Pullman, his collegiate legacy and professional legacy remain among the best in any of WSU’s athletics.