Jamal Adams hurt in return, causing questions about his future.

Seattle won without Adams, but his injury history and big contract loom large
Jamal Adams during a game against the Washington Football Team in 2021, courtesy of All-Pro Reels via Wikimedia

Seattle Seahawks safety Jamal Adams exited the game Oct. 2 with a concussion in Seattle’s 24-3 win over the New York Giants. Adams was playing for the first time since tearing his left quad last season in week one. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll spoke about Adam’s injury after the game.

“He got kicked in the head and so he misses this game, but the preparation to get him to this and then with the week coming off, he’s going to be fine, I’m sure, and then be back out there.” Carroll said.

Carroll was referring to a knee to the head that Adams took from Giants QB Daniel Jones, in an attempt to tackle him for a sack. 

Adams had missed 28 of 53 regular-season games with the Seahawks due to injury heading into Monday’s game. The Seahawks acquired Adams via trade from the New York Jets back in 2020.

In the 25 games played with Seattle, Adams had 173 tackles, 9.5 sacks, and two interceptions.

Adams signed a four-year, $70 million extension with Seattle in 2021, and Seattle recently converted $9.92 million of Adams’ 2023 base salary into a signing bonus. 

This move cleared $6.61 million of cap space for 2023 and made the cap hits for Adams $11.4 million in 2023, $26.9 million in 2024, and $27.9 million in 2025.

Adams has been an incredibly impactful player when he has played, flying all over the field and making booming hits, but it’s safe to say that Adams has been nothing short of an injury liability for Seattle. 

Adams will presumably make a return from the concussion after the Seahawks’ bye this week, but as an aging player with an injury history and an ultra-physical play style, another injury is inevitable.

While the Seahawks won’t have to pay much in the present, the future payment for Adams is not worth the reward.

What good does an impact player provide if they aren’t on the field?

Seattle should look to move Adams via trade, or eventually cut him if the trade value isn’t there. 

A trade would be best for the Seahawks as they are currently sporting a young secondary, and extra cash could be extremely beneficial to add the finishing pieces. 

The problem with just cutting Adams is that they would have to pay out a good majority of his contract, not leading to any substantial cash. 

As it sits right now, Adams is a failed trade experiment and nothing short of it. 

The hope is that Adams can be healthy and worth the price tag, but as of right now, he’s just a big question mark.