Pac-12 the craziest conference – NCAA week seven

Big matchups, upsets, a new AP 25
JULIAN CABALLERO
WSU running back Nakia Watson runs downfield during an NCAA football game against Arizona State, Nov. 12.

Every week proves time and time again why the Pac-12 disbanding is bad for college football. Some of the nation’s most talented and best-coached teams are in the conference and some of the most exciting matchups come from the West Coast.

Every year, the Pac-12 has teams in the bottom of the standings upset teams closer to the top. It is a major reason as to why the conference has had limited success in the College Football Playoff format. The teams are closer from top to bottom than any other conference. 

Week seven proved these facts again, with upsets and big plays coming from all angles in the conference. Some teams looked outmatched and other teams fought until the very last play. 

WSU vs. Arizona

The Cougs seem lost in every way. The Wildcats did not have a clear front runner to start at QB until kickoff but still dominated WSU on the road. Noah Fifita looks like the breakout star of the conference, finishing 34-of-43 for 342 yards.

As for the WSU offense, Ben Arbuckle has been figured out. Rush three, drop eight in coverage, win. Cam Ward struggled even more than he had against the Bruins, finishing 22-of-30 for 192 yards and an interception. 

The first drive saw the Cougs score a quick TD but fail the two-point conversion. The rest of the game it seemed like it was a high school team against a college foe, as the Cougs barely could get past midfield on their drives. 

It is not too late in the season to turn things around, but on the outside, it seems like there is a lot to work on. 

Washington vs. Oregon 

College Gameday chose the right game to go to. Back and forth to the very end, a missed kick to force overtime secured the win for the home Huskies by a final of 36-33. Bo Nix and Michael Penix Jr. had massive games and had a fascinating duel.

Nix finished 33-of-44 for 337 yards and two TDs, while Penix Jr. solidified his Heisman campaign with a 22-for-37 day for 302 yards, four TDs and one interception. 

Both rushing attacks also had great days, with Oregon’s Mar’Keise Irving running the ball 22 times for 127 yards and a score and Washington’s Dillon Johnson running it 20 times for 100 yards and a score.

Notre Dame vs. USC 

After close wins time and time again, the defense finally gave up on the Trojans. What appeared to be a back-and-forth shootout between two rivals finished as a 48-20 blowout win for the Fighting Irish. 

Caleb Williams had his worst performance while at USC, throwing three interceptions for the first time as a Trojan Notre Dame, despite their two losses earlier in the year, looked like a much stronger team and dominated the second and fourth quarters specifically. 

UCLA vs. Oregon State 

Oregon State has turned over a new leaf after getting beat in the Pac-2 Championship. After UCLA had just taken down the same WSU team that beat the Beavers, OSU got revenge for the Cougs in a 36-24 win at home.

DJ Uiagalelei has been throwing the ball more, ending 14-for-24 for 266 yards and two TDs. The Beavers’ defense forced Dante Moore into completing just 42% of his passes and throwing three interceptions, one of their best performances as a unit in 2023. 

Colorado vs. Stanford 

A 29-0 lead at halftime made Deion Sanders all smiles. But that lead subsided as the Cardinal made it closer and closer until eventually sneaking away with a win. Ashton Daniels threw for 396 yards and four TDs and specifically, Elic Ayomanor had the night of a lifetime. 

Ayomanor caught 13 passes for 294 yards and three of Daniels’ four TDs. His night capped off with an insane catch where he pinned the ball on the back of the helmet of a defender draped around him, another example of the insanity of Pac-12 football.