Setting standards for City of Pullman officials

City council adopts code of conduct and legislative priorities, approves communication intern
Scouts+from+Troop+444+attend+Pullmans+City+Council+meeting+to+work+toward+communication+merit+badge%2C+Oct.+24%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Scouts from Troop 444 attend Pullman’s City Council meeting to work toward communication merit badge, Oct. 24, in Pullman, Wash.

At the Pullman City Council meeting Tuesday, the Council and Mayor Glenn Johnson adopted a resolution creating a code of conduct for city officials and community members, adopted a motion of the 2024 legislative priorities and approved a motion to add a part-time communication intern. 

Discussed at previous council meetings on Sept. 12 and Oct. 13, the final code of conduct document outlines a set of standards for elected officials, committees, commissions, staff, volunteers and the community in order to work together for the common good of the Pullman community.

The values/topics covered and explained further in the code of conduct include the covenant of understanding, respect, preparedness, speaking, listening, asking and celebrating success. 

After the Council adopted the code of conduct, they adopted a motion for the final draft document of the 2024 City Council Legislative Priorities. The council discussed this motion previously at the Aug. 22, Sept. 12 and Oct. 10 meetings. 

Pullman’s 2024 legislative priorities are centered on revitalizing the downtown area, promoting economic development, enhancing transportation safety and addressing livability factors in Pullman, with a focus on improving the city’s overall well-being and prosperity, according to the document.

Council members and Johnson then approved a motion to allow Pullman City Administrator Mike Urban to begin the hiring process for a part-time communication intern due to the long-term leave from the current Pullman City Administer into 2024. 

During the meeting, the council and Johnson heard a presentation from Economic Development Manager Sean Miller about potential tax increment financing (TIF). TIF is a public financing tool that sets aside or diverts tax dollars to invest in development and revitalization of communities in order to stimulate economic growth, Miller said. 

In light of Domestic Violence Action Month, two speakers from Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse spoke during the council meeting.

The council heard from Jeff Elbrach, City of Pullman director of finance, during the public hearing portion of the meeting regarding 2024 Revenue Sources for the upcoming year’s budget, including the possible increase in property tax for the upcoming year. 

Scout Troop 444 attended the council meeting to obtain their Communication Merit Badge which requires them to attend a public meeting. 

For the full agenda of Tuesday night’s meeting visit https://go.boarddocs.com/wa/pullman/Board.nsf/Public.

The next Pullman City Council meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday Oct. 31 is canclled.

View Comments (1)