WSU volleyball senior spotlight: Pia Timmer

Record-breaking outside will be missed dearly
Pia+Timmer+has+the+spotlight+on+her+as+she+runs+out+during+player+introductions+vs.+the+Oregon+Ducks%2C+Oct.+27%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Pia Timmer has the spotlight on her as she runs out during player introductions vs. the Oregon Ducks, Oct. 27, in Pullman, Wash.

Take a look at the WSU volleyball record book. By the end of your time taking a glance, you might be sick of reading the name Pia Timmer. The fifth-year outside hitter from Emlichheim, Germany, is one of the most storied players in program history and keeps pushing up and up the record book. 

“[Coming to WSU has been] one of the best decisions that I’ve made in my life,” Timmer said in 2021. “I’m really happy here and it’s a lot of fun.” 

With seven more regular season contests and postseason play, she still has time to continue to grow her legacy. 

Timmer is a three-time Pac-12 player of the week, 2021 AVCA All-American Honorable Mention, three-time Pac-12 All-Conference First Team, 2019 Pac-12 All-Freshman Team and Three-time AVCA Pacific North All-Region, with 2023 being yet another fantastic season. 

She is hitting just above her career average at .231% and is averaging the third-highest kill per set rate of her career at 3.34, a testament to her longevity as one of the Conference’s best. Averaging a near career-best 2.09 digs per set and 0.31 service aces per set, she is one of the most well-rounded players on the team. 

With 942 career digs, she is just 58 shy of becoming the 15th player to ever reach the 1,000 career dig club, the third this season and fellow seniors Julia Norville and Karly Basham. With her impressive 1,574 career kills as well, not only will she be the third person to reach 1,000 kills and digs in a career, she will be the first to ever reach 1,500 and 1,000. 

Those 1,574 rank her firmly in the second place all-time in program history, just 203 shy of Krya Holt in second place at 1,777. 

Kills and blocks are not the only statistics that she ranks among the best to ever come to WSU, as she is one of the best servers to come through Pullman. With 140 career aces, she is 11 shy of the all-time lead in the category. 

Along with teammate and one of her best friends, Magda Jehlárová, Timmer has rewritten the record books of WSU volleyball and elevated the program to an entirely new level, but the goal is in this year’s postseason, past the festivities of senior night.