In 60 minutes: Cougs can complete another season sweep

WSU swept Utah in October
Magda+Jehl%C3%A1rov%C3%A1+looks+to+get+the+ball+past+two+Utah+defenders%2C+Oct.+13%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Magda Jehlárová looks to get the ball past two Utah defenders, Oct. 13, in Pullman, Wash.

WSU volleyball (21-7, 11-6 Pac-12) just completed their season sweep against Colorado with their Friday night sweep in Boulder. Now, they get the opportunity to secure another season sweep when they take on Utah (10-17, 5-12) Sunday in Salt Lake City. 

Winners of three-straight against the Utes dating back to October 2022, the Cougs can secure their second sweep in a row. In Pullman, on Oct. 13, coming off a loss, WSU hit .402% en route to a sweep, 3-0 (25-15, 25-21, 25-12). 

In their third set, the Cougs were exceptionally dominant, rattling off two separate 6-0 runs in the win. 

Pia Timmer had a dominant performance with a match-leading 10 kills on 20 attacks. Adding three assists, two service aces and five digs, she had a vital role in the win. 

While since that win the Cougs are just 5-5, they have won their two most recent matches. They beat a ranked USC team in five sets and just swept the Colorado Buffaloes Friday. 

A third-straight victory would be their best streak since capping off 14-straight victories against Cal Oct. 6.

Utah has lost three straight matches and, dating back to their last 12 matches, has gone an un-inspiring 2-10. Against Washington Friday, the Utes took the first two sets off the Huskies before UW rattled off three straight sets to pull off the reverse sweep. 

WSU’s Magda Jehlárová comes into the match on record watch once again. She sits just six behind first place for the NCAA rally-scoring era and 11 behind the Pac-12 record for career blocks.