In 60 minutes: Cougs end home schedule with top 25 matchup

WSU vs Arizona State
Iman+Isanovic+during+an+NCAA+volleyball+match+between+WSU+and+Oregon%2C+Oct.+27%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Iman Isanovic during an NCAA volleyball match between WSU and Oregon, Oct. 27, in Pullman, Wash.

There is just one more guaranteed time the WSU volleyball team will play in Bohler Gym in 2023. That is tomorrow when the Cougs will take on the Arizona State Sun Devils for the first and likely only time this season.

Both teams are ranked in the top 25 and have had very successful seasons. WSU (22-7, 12-6 Pac-12) comes in ranked No. 11 and Arizona State (25-5, 13-5) is ranked No. 18. Not only will it be the battle of two top 25 teams, it will be the first time grad transfer Iman Isanovic will battle her former team of four years.

While the all-time series between Arizona State and WSU is close, it has been far from that ever since Jen Greeny took over the program. Since their first matchup, WSU leads 39-34 and the Cougs lead 23-13 in Pullman. Under Greeny, the Cougs have won 13 straight matches, have a 17-5 record against the Sun Devils and have only ever lost a single time in Bohler.

It will be an uphill battle for Arizona State, but their new-look team is far different than it has been in previous years.

WSU has been a dominant offensive team all year and their hitting percentage ranks among the nation’s best. They own the 12th-best percentage in the nation and third-best in the Pac-12. However, Arizona State is also among the best.

The two teams are very close in their statistical outputs, but the Cougs have more recognized names on their roster.

WSU has wins over USC, Oregon, Texas, Baylor and BYU this season, while Arizona State has wins over Stanford, Oregon and USC. The Wednesday battle will be a fight between two goliaths of the Pac-12 Conference.

At noon Wednesday, the two will battle on the floors of Bohler Gym in Pullman.