WSU volleyball wraps up season with Seattle Apple Cup

Cougs enter as No. 11 team in nation
WSU students hold up a banner reading “Beat The Huskies” before an NCAA volleyball match against UW, Sept. 21, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

WSU and UW have a historic rivalry. It is one filled with animosity and it encapsulates an entire state whenever the two teams play one another in any sport. Just one night’s rest ahead of the football edition of the Apple Cup in 2023, the two programs will battle it out in volleyball.

No. 11 WSU (23-7, 13-6 Pac-12) will travel to Seattle to take on Washington (16-14. 7-12). While the Huskies lead the all-time series 73-28, the Cougs won the first battle between the two programs this season. 

Back in the Pac-12 opener, WSU came in heavily favored to defend Bohler Gym and that is exactly what the Cougs did. WSU won in a sweep, 3-0 (25-17, 25-19, 25-15), holding the Huskies to a hitting percentage of .067% in the final set. 

Entering Friday’s bout, Wazzu has gotten the ship right, winning four straight against then-No. 25 USC, Colorado, Utah and No. 18 Arizona State. 

On the other side, UW has split their last four, losing to UCLA and Colorado but beating Utah and Arizona. 

UW has not beaten a ranked team this season, going winless against the likes of Arizona State, WSU, Stanford, Oregon and USC in 2023. They have been unable to upset anyone during this season, but they had some success against the teams below them in the Pac-12 standings. 

Last season, the two teams entered their season finale against one another as the No. 24 (UW) and No. 25 (WSU) teams in the country and the Cougs came away with a massive victory. 

In 2023, the Cougs are heavily favored to win in a sweep, but you can never count out UW when it comes to the Apple Cup, even when they are not favored. 

The Cougs and Huskies will duke it out at 7 p.m. Friday in Seattle.