Pia Timmer signs her first pro contract of young career

Third graduate to begin career post-college
WSU outside hitter Pia Timmer digs the ball during an NCAA volleyball match against UW, Sept. 21, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

After two players joined the newly-formed American Pro Volleyball Federation, Pia Timmer is the third person of the 2023 graduating class of WSU volleyball to begin her professional career. Timmer signed a contract with Dresdner Sportsclub in her home country of Germany.

Dresdner SC plays in the Bundesliga in Germany and Timmer arrives following the injury to their starting outside hitter. Timmer played in the second level of the league from 2014–19 before starting her collegiate journey, now making the jump to the higher level of a successful five seasons with the Cougs. 

„Pia soll auf der Außenposition für Entlastung sorgen. Im Wettkampf wie im Training. Sie verfügt über viel Spielintelligenz und bringt Emotionen und Persönlichkeit aufs Feld. Tugenden, die ich besonders schätze“, zeigt sich Cheftrainer Alexander Waibl. 

Translation: “Pia should provide relief in the outside position. In competition as well as in training. She has a lot of game intelligence and brings emotions and personality to the field. Virtues that I particularly appreciate,” said [head coach] Alexander Waibl. 

The new journey is one that Timmer had a desire to make following her playing career. Timmer said that, ideally, she would end up back in Germany to begin her professional career, which is exactly what she is doing. 

„Meine College-Karriere hat mir super viel Spaß gemacht, aber ich habe jetzt Lust auf eine neue Herausforderung. Ich freue mich riesig auf mein neues Team, Trainer und die Volleyball-Community in Dresden,” Timmer sagte. 

Translation: “My college career was a lot of fun for me, but I am now in the mood for a new challenge. I am really looking forward to my new team, coach and the volleyball community in Dresden,” Timmer said. 

Finishing her WSU career as a four-timer All-Pac-12 player and 2021 AVCA All-American Honorable Mention, Timmer proved to be one of the greatest players in program history. Setting numerous records, Timmer broke the career record for service aces in her final match, getting her 151st and 152nd service aces against Pittsburgh in the Sweet 16 to break the record. 

Playing in 509 sets over 141 matches, Timmer finishes her career as the only player in program history to tally both over 1,500 kills and 1,000 digs in a career. In total, she hit .217% while tallying 1,704 kills, 152 aces, 1,028 digs, 177 blocks and 1,959 total points. 

Despite the short break following the end of the season, Timmer will begin her professional career before the new year commences. Timmer and the team is set for action Dec. 30, according to a team Instagram post.