New year, new Cougs: offense edition

Introducing the Cougars offensive high school class of 2024
Jake+Dickert+and+the+2023+WSU+football+team+getting+ready+to+take+the+field+at+Husky+Stadium%2C+Nov.+25%2C+in+Seattle%2C+Wash.+
Jake Dickert and the 2023 WSU football team getting ready to take the field at Husky Stadium, Nov. 25, in Seattle, Wash.

With the new year upon us, and the 2023 football season in the books for WSU, a new wave of Cougs have signed on as reinforcements for 2024. Some high schoolers, some transfers but all with one goal: to bring Wazzu back better than ever in the new year.

The Cougars landed the No. 62 ranked high school class of 2024 with the No. 79 ranked transfer class so far. They currently sit in total at No. 72 according to 247sports.com. Overall, 25 new Cougs have signed a letter of intent, with four coming from Washington and nine joining the team for spring ball.

Without further ado, it is time to meet the offensive cavalry.

Evans Chuba – Quarterback, Clearwater Academy International, Clearwater, FL

A three-star recruit originally from Montreal, Canada, Chuba provides a big-bodied presence to a QB room that lost Cam Ward and Emmett Brown this offseason. Chuba was the first to sign his letter of intent on National Signing Day. 

Chuba missed his entire senior year with a back injury but as a junior completed 133 of 259 passes for 2,173 yards and 20 touchdowns with 356 rushing yards and seven touchdowns. He was rated the No. 177 prospect in California by 247sports.

“We found him at the Mercer camp this summer, went down there to find some skill position players and he just wowed us with what he can do. An Anthony Richardson-type body, 6’3”, 215 (pounds), runs well, big strong arm, love his personality and his leadership ability and what he’s gonna bring to us as a mid-year player,” WSU head coach Jake Dickert said.

Josh Joyner – Running back, Pacifica High School, Oxnard, CA

At 5 foot, 10 inches and 172 pounds, Joyner is the smaller of two running backs who signed on with WSU. Also a three-star recruit, he figures to be involved right away in a tightly contested battle in the RB room. As a senior Joyner ran for 782 yards and nine touchdowns averaging 7.4 yards-per-carry with 275 receiving yards and five TDs on 25 catches. He was rated a three-star prospect and the No.67 overall in California by 247sports.

“Josh is one of those jackknife-type guys. He can do it all, he’ll be in the slot, he’ll be in the backfield, he’s really dangerous in our zone schemes and wide-stretch schemes as well as out of the backfield catching the ball,” Dickert said. 

Wayshawn Parker – Running back, Grant Union High School, Sacramento, CA

Parker is the bigger of the two California tailbacks at 6 foot, 0 inches and 195 pounds. As a senior in high school, he rushed for 1,907 yards and 24 touchdowns on 136 carries, averaging a whopping 14 yards-per-carry with nine 100-yard games. Parker was also a track athlete in High School, running a 10.9 in the 100-yard. He was ranked the No. 89 overall prospect in California by 247sports.

“Really proud of him, both of those guys will be here at the mid-year and are ready to compete with our roster and we all know we need to advance ourselves in running the football and those two will be a big part of that,” Dickert said.

Christopher Barnes – Wide receiver, North Shore High School, Houston, TX

One of five receivers in WSU’s 2024 class, Barnes comes in at 5 feet, 8 inches tall and 160 pounds. He is one of three three-star high school receivers in the class. As a senior, he caught 47 passes for 803 yards and nine touchdowns accounting for 1,287 all-purpose yards and helping his team to a 15-1 record and spot in the Texas 6A Division I title game. 247sports rated him the No. 261 player in Texas.

“He’s an explosive guy, scored three touchdowns in that state championship game and had a 98-yard kickoff (return) called back, excited about adding him,” Dickert said.

Isaiah Cobbs – Wide receiver, Munford High School, Munford, TN

Another three-star receiver, Cobbs is listed at 5 feet, 8 inches tall and 155 pounds. He recorded 50 receptions for 746 yards and nine touchdowns as a senior in high school and was rated the No. 31 overall prospect from Tennessee by ESPN and was a high school teammate of current WSU linebacker Tristan Bohannon.

“You remember Munford High School,” Dickert said. “They’ve been great to us and excited to add Isaiah to this class.”

Landon Wright – Wide receiver, Clovis West High School, Fresno, CA

One of two more traditional outside receivers in the class, Wright stands at 5 foot, 11 inches tall and weighs in at 175 pounds. As a senior in high school, he caught 66 passes for 1,406 yards and 15 touchdowns. Also a three-star recruit, he was rated the No. 82 prospect in California by 247sports. 

“Landon is that blend of outside, inside, can take the top off (the defense), a big play guy,” Dickert said. 

Dycurian Douglas – Wide receiver, Paris High School, Paris, TX

One of the last signees in the class, Douglas possesses the most height of any of the receivers at 6 feet, 0 inches and 170 pounds, and will work in a congested class of receivers coming in for the Cougs.

“He’s an athlete out of Paris, Texas. A two-way star, plays multiple sports, excited about his developmental process, kind of one of those under-the-radar middle-of-nowhere Texas players that have been really successful here at Washington State,” Dickert said.

Chris Lino – Offensive line, Seattle Prep High School, Seattle, WA

One of four high school offensive linemen in the 2024 class, Lino brings by far the most size on the interior at 6 feet, 8 inches tall and 325 pounds. As a senior, he was named to the All-Metro League Mountain Division First Team and was rated a three-star recruit and the No. 20 overall prospect in Washington by 247sports.

“A big physical presence that can get to the second level and stay on his feet, very Esa Pole esque as far as that big body left tackle,” Dickert said.

Carson Osmus – Offensive line, Camas High School, Camas, WA

Listed as a tackle by 247sports, Osmus adds extra size to the WSU line coming in at 6 feet, 5 inches tall and 295 pounds. He was a team captain and 4A All-GSHL First Teamer as a senior and was rated a three-star prospect and the No. 19 overall recruit in Washington by 247sports.

“If there’s somebody out of Camas High School that works harder than him, I’d love to see it because he is a hard-nosed worker, he has stayed true to his commitment with us and we’re glad to add Carson,” Dickert said.

Xavier Thorpe – Offensive line, Livermore High School, Livermore, CA

Another three-star recruit as a listed tackle, Thorpe was named to the All-East Bay Athletic League Valley First Team on offense and EBAL Co-Defensive MVP. He was also part of an offensive line that blocked for running back Kamarri Robinson, who rushed for 534 yards Oct. 21, good for fifth in state history. He was also a four-sport athlete, competing in basketball, track and lacrosse.

“Thorpe is gonna remind you of that Abe Lucas-esque athlete and body. A four-sport athlete, just completed his Eagle Scout, even since this summer he’s gained 15 pounds,” Dickert said. There’s a lot of development left to be had there with Xavier.”

AJ Hasson – Offensive line, Davis Senior High School, Davis CA

Another three-star offensive lineman but the only one listed as an interior lineman by 247sports, Hasson comes in at 6 foot, 4 inches tall and 285 pounds. As a senior, he earned Best Offensive Lineman honors, 2023 Delta League Offensive Lineman of the Year and first-team all-league. Athletes run in the Hasson family as his dad Paul was a captain on the UC Davis football team and his mom Aimee is in the UC Davis Basketball Hall of Fame.

“We started recruiting AJ he was a 6’3 ½”, 240-pound middle linebacker. As he’s grown, he’s now gonna be an offensive lineman for us, just really excited about him, I think he’s one of those guys that could potentially play four out of the five offensive line positions,” Dickert said.

These new Cougs are the future of the WSU offense, so make sure to get to know them and keep tabs, because their time will come soon. For the new Cougs defensively and transfers make sure to check the other two parts to fully immerse in all of Wazzu’s incoming reinforcements.