Cougars land two transfers at positions of need

WSU to add one linebacker and one receiver
Kyle+Williams+and+Lincoln+Victor+celebrate+after+a+TD+on+the+second+play+from+scrimmage+for+WSU%2C+Sept.+23%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Kyle Williams and Lincoln Victor celebrate after a TD on the second play from scrimmage for WSU, Sept. 23, in Pullman, Wash.

Jan. 6 – The Cougs, like last offseason, are working to fill the voids left by the departed, especially at wide receiver and linebacker, and they have found a few key plugs for those holes.

With the departure at wide receiver of Josh Kelly and Orion Peters to the transfer portal and Lincoln Victor and Kyle Hamilton to graduation, wide receiver was again a need for WSU this offseason. Despite Kyle Williams’ decision to stay and the addition of former Austin Peay receiver Tre Shackelford, the Cougs were unsatisfied and reeled in another pass catcher Friday.

Wazzu secured the services of former Oregon sophomore receiver Kris Hutson, he announced via his Instagram. Hutson makes his way to WSU after redshirting in 2023, preserving two more years of remaining eligibility.

In 2022, Hutson recorded 44 catches for 472 yards for the Ducks. A former four-star prospect out of high school per 247sports.com, Hutson at 5 feet, 11 inches tall and 172 pounds should provide another key weapon for the Cougs in 2024, coming in with experience in the Pac-12 and one of the best offenses in the country.

Similar to a year ago, the Cougs also needed more help at the linebacker position, and with the departure of Devin Richardson to the NFL draft and Davon Hicks and Ahmad McCullough to the transfer portal, the need was even more obvious. 

The Cougars have already done work to address this need, adding Portland State transfer Parker McKenna and landing in Butte College transfer Aiden Sullivan’s top-five list, but secured another high-profile commit Friday in Keith Brown from Louisville. 

Brown spent two years at Oregon before transferring to Louisville a year ago. At 6 feet 2 inches tall and 235 pounds, he brings an enforcer’s frame to the Cougs rebuilt linebacker room as well as a flashy background being rated a four-star recruit and the No. 1 recruit from Oregon out of high school by 247sports.com.

He recorded just one tackle in 2023 but had 21 to go with one sack in 2022. Brown announced his commitment to WSU on his Instagram Friday.

Now WSU will look to tap into the high-end potential of the two new former four-star commits. Wazzu’s roster reconfiguration may not be done, but the work is underway.