Record breaking weekend for Cougar swimming

Cougs set four records over two days, show promise for postseason
JULIAN CABALLERO
University of Southern California and WSU swimmers in a freestyle race during an NCAA women’s swim meet, Saturday, Jan. 20, 2024, in Pullman, Wash.

A huge weekend of fast times at the final Pac-12 competition led the Cougars to break four records, while freshman swimmers showed the potential they have. During day one the Cougars came close to breaking a record in the 200m relay consisting of Anna Rauchholz, Emily Lundgren, Skylar Brgoch and Emma Wright, coming within just tenths of seconds of the school record. 

The 800m relay team consisting of Dori Hathazi, Sam Krew, Angela Di Palo and Mira Szimcsak also came within moments of a record, setting the mood for the weekend. Day two saw more fast times and two record-breaking swims by Lundgren and Szimcsak. 

“Szimcsak made history in the first final of the evening session, posting a 4.43.35 in the 500 free to break Erin McCleave’s previous mark of 4:43.46 set in 2007,” the Washington State Athletic Communications Team wrote. 

Lundgren took this weekend by storm breaking her own record not once but twice. On Friday Lundgren broke her 200 IM record with a time of 1:58.94 bringing her a qualifying time for the NCAA B cut. She broke her own record again the very next day. 

“In the 100 breast even final, Lundgren made history again, breaking her own school record for the second time during the meet with a 59.45, good for an NCAA ‘B’ time and second place in the Pac-12. Lundgren placed third in the 200 breast at last year’s Pac-12 Championships,” the WSAC wrote. 

On the final day Lundgren was not alone in the record-setting, with Anna Rauchholz showing up and showing out for the last record of the weekend in her 100 backstroke where she set the new record at 53.39.

Some of the freshmen came close to setting records in their events as well, such as Ariel Wang who placed herself as the sixth fastest 200 IM swimmer in program history showing huge promise for her future times. Wang did the same in her 400 IM placing herself as the sixth fastest time again on the same weekend.

The swimmers are now getting ready for the NCAA competition, now with their list of designated competitors set.