WSU women’s lacrosse finding new heights

From college basketball to Club LAX

Having never touched a lacrosse stick, former college basketball players Desireé Lane and Hanna Morris used their athleticism from their basketball days to lead the WSU lacrosse team to new heights. 

WSU women’s lacrosse is one of the most successful clubs on campus with Lane and Morris bringing them to a 5-2 record this season.

Lane grew up in the Seattle area but moved to California after high school to play collegiate basketball at Cal State East Bay.

Unlike Lane, Morris grew up in California and stayed to continue her basketball career at Santa Rosa College.

When Lane’s time came to an end at Cal State East Bay, she knew exactly where she wanted to go.

“My entire family bleeds crimson and gray, with our Coug loyalty spanning generations back to my great-grandfather, Dennis Morrison, who served as assistant to the president,” Lane said. “There was no doubt in my mind where I wanted to continue my education.”

After transferring here, Lane said she “missed that sense of team camaraderie and the identity of being an athlete.” 

Lane’s cousin Valarie Burdge, who is on the team, convinced her to join.

“’I’m incredibly grateful that she did,” Lane said.

Like Lane, Morris said she did not want to let go of her athlete identity and wanted to join the track team, but was unable to due to the financial commitment. 

Morris wanted to find another sport.

“I heard about the lacrosse team I believe just through the Instagram page,” she said. 

And then she joined. 

Even though Lane had never played lacrosse before, she said the transition was natural as her athleticism and skills she gained through basketball gave her an advantage on the field.

“During one game against PLU, a referee even asked, ‘You’re a basketball player, aren’t you?’ She said she could tell by my footwork.”

Morris said she agreed that even though she had never touched a lacrosse stick before, basketball helped her learn the sport. 

“My background in basketball helps a lot actually, with my footwork and defense most especially, noticing a fast break and getting back on defense and not giving up it’s the whole mentality on being competitive and having sportsmanship on and off the field,” Morris said. 

Their natural transition from the court to the field showed as they both led the team to back-to-back victories against Pacific Luthern University and Seattle University this past weekend. 

Lane says the lacrosse team fulfills her desire to be an athlete without the stress of tough coaches. 

“Every practice feels like a team bonding experience rather than just training,” she said.

Even though it does not feel like training for Lane, when it comes to game time they all focus and work hard.

“I know I’ll cherish these memories forever,” Lane said. 

Learning a new sport may be intimidating, but “that’s why you have your teammates to help build you up,” Morris said.