WSU radio station participates in Vinylthon

KZUU 90.7 FM played 48 hours of continuous vinyl April 20–22
COURTESY OF CADEN BLESSING
Two KZUU 90.7 FM members at the radio station.

Forty-eight hours.

WSU radio station KZUU 90.7 FM played 48 hours of continuous vinyl from midnight April 20–midnight April 22 as part of this year’s Vinylthon, an annual event conducted by the College Radio Foundation.

Vinylthon is a whole weekend of continuously playing vinyl records, KZUU general manager Caden Blessing said.

The event is a tribute to vinyl records since they are slowly going out of style, head music director Dayton Zimlinghaus said.

“This is the first year KZUU has participated in Vinylthon,” program director Ezekiel Mitchell-Hopmeier said. 

Vinyl has a long and unique history of DJs, collectors and hi-fi enthusiasts who use the format to experience and appreciate music, Mitchell-Hopmeier said.

It feels more personal to hold a physical copy of an album you love than just having a file on a computer, Mitchell-Hopmeier said. Vinyl also gives artists the opportunity to monetize their music more than streaming does.

When KZUU switched to CDs and digital, Mitchell-Hopmeier said it removed the radio station’s ability to play records on air.

“It’s a very good opportunity to bring people together and share their vinyl collections,” Blessing said.

People filled out a sign-up form at the radio station and brought their own vinyl records to play, Zimlinghaus said.

Twenty-four hours of continuous vinyl play awards a Golden Vinyl Slipmat Cover, Blessing said. However, it is not a competition, but a fun event to get everyone involved.

Over 200 radio stations took part this year, Blessing said.

“I was here ‘til 4 a.m.,” Blessing said.

KZUU focuses on showcasing underground and lesser-known artists that may not have any airplay otherwise, Mitchell-Hopmeier said. The radio station allows students to connect with the local music community and niche music scenes that are underrepresented.

“Artists love the promotion and we love the connection,” Mitchell-Hopmeier said.

Participating in Vinylthon was under discussion for two months before KZUU made the final decisions and preparations, Zimlinghaus said.

It took a lot of hard work to set up a turntable, which KZUU needed to start broadcasting this historic format again and take part in Vinylthon, Mitchell-Hopmeier said.

The challenging part was to stay up all night and change the vinyl when one finished playing, Blessing said.

“It is an excuse to sit around and do some homework while listening to music,” Blessing said.