It’s raining kittens on the Palouse

Humane society hopes to raise money for influx of kittens without homes
Mattie, a cat at the Whitman County Humane Society before WCHS’ October 2023 cat campaign.

It’s raining kittens in need of care and homes Saturday at the AnimalHaven in Pullman, where the Whitman County Humane Society is hosting its Wildflower Kitten Shower.

Shelter operations manager Elle Barnes said the event will go from noon–5 p.m. There is a donation wish list that has a variety of necessary items the shelter needs to take care of the influx of kittens that will come in throughout the summer.

The wish list includes kitten milk replacement, controlled heating pads and blankets, canned wet food, pate, kitten kibble, miracle nipples, small milk bottles, Gerber turkey or chicken baby food, paper towels, cotton balls, cat toys, cat carriers, gas gift cards, clay non-clumping cat litter, hand soap and sponges. WCHS is also accepting any size donations for spay and neuter costs.

After each person drops off their donation, they will receive a wristband to enter a grassy, fenced-in area where WCHS will provide picnic blankets and refreshments like homemade sourdough bread, cupcakes and scones.

“People can bring as large a group as they want, we just ask that their donation matches how many people are coming,” Barnes said.

Later this month, Merry Cellars Winery is hosting a Wine and Whiskers fundraiser for WCHS. From noon–6 p.m. April 27, each glass or bottle purchased will have a percentage donated to the shelter.

Lori Jordan, Board of Directors vice president, said the shelter is expecting 100–200 kittens this summer. Many of them are sick when they come in, and the shelter provides their medication and care.

“A lot of the cats that we get are pregnant when they come in, so we’ll have kittens in the shelter,” Jordan said. “We also end up with kittens that don’t have moms in some situations, and then just young cats that people just can’t care for.”

Both Barnes and Jordan said the community is very supportive of the kittens and the shelter.

“They’re amazing,” Jordan said. “We run on donations, and so we wouldn’t be here if people were unable to donate and keep us going.”

The expectation is that the Wildflower Kitten Shower will be well-attended with many donations of items on the wish list. Barnes said she is hoping for at least 50 people to come.

“Our idea with this event is to kind of give back as a thank you, at the same time as asking for help, because we wouldn’t be able to do anything that we do without the community,” Barnes said.