Local therapists often have long waiting periods

Local counseling offices receive many referrals from WSU community

Courtesy of Flickr Commons

Local counselors see an increase of patients during this stressful time in the semester and as the weather changes.

KAYLA SIMONSON, Evergreen reporter

Local facilities support mental health needs of the WSU community, especially during this stressful time of year.

Michelle Miller, the counselor of Mainspring Counseling in Pullman, said she sees an influx of patients when the season changes and there are heavier workloads.

“Anxiety comes from looking too far ahead,” she said. “Remember to focus on what is now, not yesterday and not tomorrow.”

She said she gets many referrals from WSU students, professors and other employees. They comprise about 40 to 50 percent of her clientele.

Besides the WSU community, Miller works with a variety of patients, such as families, children, teenagers, and victims of sexual assault and rape. She also counsels other professionals.

Frances Wagner, a counselor located in Colfax, said she also gets referrals from WSU quite often. She said about 20 percent of her patients are WSU students.

Like many other therapists in the area, it may take a week or two to get an appointment with Wagner, depending on one’s availability.

Tiffany Sheely, a licensed professional counselor at The Family Table, said because the office is just opening, there is no wait for appointments.

Miller said colleagues, such as Rhonda Allenger and Anna Hernandez from Palouse River Counseling, have been supportive of her. Allenger has mentored her and encouraged her to start Mainspring Counseling, Miller said.

Acceptance, commitment therapy and focusing on mindfulness for trauma make up a large part of her practice, she said.

“My job is to be a mirror to show where you are, and hold your hand and lead you through it,” Miller said.

To get the most out of the appointments, it is best to have an emotional and reliable relationship with the provider, Miller said.

“If you can’t trust your counselor,” Miller said, “can you actually say they are the right counselor for you?”

She said she and many other counselors give free consultations. She encourages people to take advantage of these to find the best therapist for them.

“I’m not going to be the best sit for everyone,” Miller said, “but there is someone who will be the best sit for you.”