Fine wine and advertising

FROM STAFF REPORTS

Fathers can drink fine wine and support a good cause tonight during a Silent Auction in GCAD Atrium at 5 p.m.

The event is held by the National Student Advertising Competition (NSAC) annually on Dad’s Weekend to promote awareness of the organization and fundraise for the upcoming regional competition in Eugene, Oregon.

Donations will go towards the team’s traveling expenses and other fees.

“It’s a fun area to hang out with your dad and there’s live music,” NSAC member Shawn Jarvis said.

This year’s auction will feature a wide variety of items that were donated to the event.

Items include a $200 bottle of Cougar Legend Wine, a Nike Pro Watch, a Swiss Army luggage and several gift packages such as the Mariners “Seattle” Package, which offers two mid-level seats to a 2015 Mariners game; a family pack to the Woodland Park Zoo and Bottle Goose Ridge Wine.

“It’s a great activity if you and your dad haven’t planned anything to do yet,” Jarvis said.

Students will also be able to find helpful resources by talking to the members of NSAC.

“It’s a cool place for dads and a great place for underclassmen students to meet upperclassmen Communications students,” NSAC member Lauren Bay said.

Students will be able to ask questions, get more information about NSAC, and learn about the university’s advertising classes, professors and programs.

“This event is a great opportunity to learn more about advertising and NSAC. And you get to mingle and network with other students,” Jarvis said.

Tickets can be purchased at the door and are $6 a person, or $10 for a father and student pair. Admission and two drinks are included with the purchase of each ticket. A screening of the Clio awards will also be displayed at the event.

“The Clio awards are like the Emmy’s of advertising,” NSAC member Emily Bobbe said.

Wine drinking and auctioning begins at 5:30 p.m. and will last until 7:30 p.m.

“It’s open to all ages and there will be wine, beer and non-alcoholic beverages,” Bobbe said.