Extravagant vocal performances

Instead of singing the praises of WSU to your dad this weekend, take him to see the professionals do it.

Among the many events taking place this “Dad’s Weekend,” the 29th annual “Vocal Extravaganza” is at 8 p.m. tonight in Bryan Hall.

“This is the only performance where all five vocal ensembles are featured,” said Julie Wieck, associate professor of music at WSU.

Each of the groups will get about 15 minutes to perform, which allows the audience to hear a wide range of styles, said Lori Wiest, director of choral activities.

The Madrigal/Chamber Singers will open the show and perform their set in full Renaissance garb.

“The madrigal songs are pretty much all celebratory, upbeat pieces,” Wiest said.

They will be followed by The University Singers, a non-audition group composed of community members, faculty, and students from many different majors.

Next up Concert Choir who will perform, among others, a song entitled “Evening Prayer,” which incorporates instruments alongside the choir.

“The composer wrote it to feature not just the sax, the piano, or the voice, but to show how they all work together,” Wiest said.

Wieck is directing the Opera Workshop, whose performance will consist of songs from the group’s upcoming show in November, “A Magical Evening of Opera.”

“All the songs have to do with magic. Things like wizards and potions,” Wieck said. “I like to do things with a theme.”

The Vocal Jazz Ensemble will close out the show and feature the premiere arrangement of “If I Were a Bell” by Dean Luethi, assistant professor of music at WSU.

“We cater what we do at this concert knowing we have a lot of parents and alumni,” Wiest said. “We want to make everything enjoyable.”

During intermission the Concert Choir will host a bake sale to help fund its various performances throughout the year, she said.

While the bake sale proceeds go solely to the Concert Choir the entirety of the event’s ticket sales go to funding the full vocal department for items like outfits and set pieces and future tours, Luethi said.

“This is a great opportunity for families, alumni, and faculty members to see what we’re doing here,” Wiest said. “It’ll be a great evening to enjoy some entertainment.”

Ticket prices are $10 for adults, $5 for senior citizens older than 60 and students, and free to children 12 and younger.

Tickets can be bought today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Kimbrough Hall, or at 6:30 p.m. in Bryan Hall before the show.