Cougars pecked by high flying Ducks

WSU has lost six of last seven games, four straight on home court

GEORGE RODRIGUEZ | The Daily Evergreen

WSU redshirt sophomore forward Borislava Hristova looks for an open teammate as Oregon defenders surround her Sunday at Beasley Coliseum.

TYLER SHUEY, Evergreen columnist

After narrowly losing to No. 16 Oregon State University Friday night, WSU women’s basketball lost again Sunday to No. 9 University of Oregon 90-79, dropping their fourth-straight home game.

WSU Interim Head Coach Mike Daugherty said his team exceeded his expectations given the competition they played.

“I thought we played great this weekend given the circumstances,” Daugherty said. “Offensively, we were good all weekend.”

Ducks sophomore forward Ruthy Hebard had a record day, going 12-12 from the floor and racking up 29 points, breaking the Oregon single-game field goal percentage mark. Freshman forward Satou Sabally and sophomore guard Sabrina Ionescu contributed with 17 points each in a game dominated by the Ducks’ underclassmen.

“When [Hebard] gets the ball around the basket, she puts the ball in the hole against everybody,” Daugherty said. “She’s a great finisher and she knows what her shot is.”

To start the game, Oregon made their first seven shots. The Ducks shot 80 percent going into halftime, holding a 48-34 advantage.

A cooler shooting third quarter for UO helped WSU cut the deficit to 10 points going into the fourth quarter. The Cougars shot the ball well in the fourth, cutting the deficit to single digits on three separate occasions, but couldn’t muster up enough defensive stops in the end.

Senior guard Pinelopi Pavlopoulou said the Cougars showed they can play through adversity by fighting back in the final 20 minutes of the game.

“The fact that we battled in the second half shows improvement for us,” Pavlopoulou said.

WSU redshirt sophomore forward Borislava Hristova continued her breakout season, leading the Cougars with 22 points on 50 percent shooting from the field. She led the team in scoring for the 20th time this season.

Pavlopoulou and junior guard Alexys Swedlund each made four three-pointers and totaled 14 points. As a team, the Cougars tied a season high with 11 three-pointers and shot a season-best 55 percent from three-point range.

Oregon now moves to 12-2 in Pac-12 play, matching their most wins in conference since the 2004-05 season.

The Cougars return to the court 6 p.m. Friday for a game against University of Utah at Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City. The game can also be seen live on the Pac-12 Networks.