Some campus streets will see closures Saturday

Parts of Cougar Way, Thatuna Street will be closed as students move in

COURTESY OF WSU TRANSPORTATION

This map shows the different areas of campus that will see closures for most of Saturday as students move into residence halls. A parking lot that normally serves as a green permit area near Cleveland Hall, which is marked in yellow on this map, will be used as a staging area for those moving into residence halls on the Hillside area of campus for the first time this year.

IAN SMAY, Evergreen reporter

As students move into their homes for the upcoming school year, WSU’s Pullman campus will see a number of road closures and resulting detours to help aid the move-in process Saturday.

The closures will affect numerous streets on the Northside and Hillside areas of campus, while Southside will see heavy traffic as student settle into their residence halls, said Chris Boyan, WSU Transportation’s assistant director of operations.

“If you don’t need to be on campus, you should avoid coming to campus,” Boyan said.

One of the largest spans of road that will be closed off to the public as a staging area for move-in is on Cougar Way, which will be closed from D Street to Stadium Way as students enter Northside residence halls.  The closure will last from the early morning hours until after the main rush of traffic subsides, which Boyan said usually occurs toward the late afternoon. The parking lots near Beasley Coliseum will serve as staging areas for the Northside residence halls.

The paved green permit lot by Cleveland Hall will be used as a staging area for those moving into halls on Hillside. After arriving at the area, helpers will guide vehicles down toward the halls, with the staging areas made up of parts of Campus and Thatuna streets, Boyan said. The map also shows part of the Glenn Terrell Friendship Mall by Kimbrough Hall as an unloading zone.

“We’ve never really restricted traffic there before,” Boyan said of the Hillside area. “This should make it more organized and more safe for people moving in.”

Southside will not see any road closures, but traffic is expected to be heavy as well, Boyan said.

While the official WSU Move-In website recommends students move-in on Aug. 15, most students make the trip on Saturday.

Unrelated to move-in, Aug. 17 will see Cougar Way from Stadium Way to D Street close from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. as part of the All Campus Picnic, according to the move-in website.

Boyan also said part of Stadium Way that is not closed will see an influx of traffic as people are shuffled around.

While there are no other planned closures for move-in week after Saturday, Boyan said people should be prepared anyway going forward.

“Summer’s over, it’s busy again,” he said.