Eat your stress away

A student receives a free sample at Panda Express in the CUB, Monday, April 28.

In an effort to encourage healthy eating habits during dead week, a student-led organization will be providing free food Wednesday through Friday in the CUB.

The Movimiento Estudiantil Chicana/o de Aztlan organization, translated as Chicana/o Student Movement of Aztlan (M.E.Ch.A.), has partnered with ASWSU to temporarily bring Subway, Panda Express and Pizza Pipeline to studying students at no cost.

“A lot of students are running out of RDA at this time,” said Jennyfer Berrueta-Trejo, sophomore and M.E.Ch.A. member. “This helps them not worry about not eating or eating junk food.”

The idea for the event came about during a Children of Aztlan Sharing Higher Education Conference. Knowing they had extra money that would not roll over into the following school year, M.E.Ch.A. decided to put the funds toward the event.

The primary goal of this event is to help students who are stressed out during dead week preparing for the final upcoming essays, presentations, and exams.

“It’s having that mentality of a Coug helping out another Coug,” said Ivon Garcia, senior and M.E.Ch.A. social chair member. “We want to see the students relax and eat something and have a connection with somebody else.”

Garcia said she forgot to eat during dead week because she was caught up in finals preparation while also looking forward to summer.

The effects of dead week vary depending on the student, said Esteban Mena, junior and M.E.Ch.A. member. For him, last semester’s dead week was stressful and caused him to lose sleep.

“During dead week (students) have to rely on Top Ramen and all the crummy foods,” Mena said.

Vendors were chosen for the event based on their approval in the CUB, Berrueta-Trejo said. The three restaurants chosen currently reside in the dining area.

“As a college student in the morning I don’t give myself enough time to worry about that,” Garcia said. “Some students, right off the bat, get out of bed and go to school.”

Subway will be passed out from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesday in the CUB Spine. Panda Express and Pizza Pipeline will be available from 12 to 2 p.m. on Thursday, and 3 to 5 p.m. on Friday in CUB room 406.

“They say it’s always good to talk about your problems,” Mena said. “Standing in line venting to someone else relieves a little stress.”