Week 13 Pac-12 North power rankings

Rivalry week games see No. 12 Cougs drop, No. 10 Huskies rise

Week 13 Pac-12 North power rankings

RYAN PUGH | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

RYAN PUGH | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

RYAN PUGH | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

SHAWN P. O'CONNOR, Evergreen reporter

Here is how the Pac-12 North teams stack up after week 13.

1. No. 10 University of Washington (Last week: 2)

The Huskies continue to own the Cougars, defeating them 28-15 on Friday in Pullman. UW also defeated visiting Oregon State University 42-23 on Nov. 17.

The UW offense ran through senior running back Myles Gaskin. Gaskin ran for 135 yards and had a touchdown on 18 carries against the Beavers before torching WSU for 170 yards and three scores on 27 carries in the Apple Cup.

Washington’s defense was dominant, forcing five turnovers and 10 punts in its final two games. The Huskies were spectacular on third down, holding their opponents to only six conversions on 27 third down opportunities.

Washington (9-3, 8-2) heads to Santa Clara, California, to face University of Utah in the Pac-12 Championship Game on Friday.

1. No. 12 Washington State University (Last week: 1)

The Cougars couldn’t end the Apple Cup losing streak, falling to the Huskies 28-15 for the sixth-straight year. WSU’s last victory was against University of Arizona 69-28 on Nov. 17.

The Cougar offense couldn’t be stopped against Arizona, racking up 605 total yards of offense. Quarterback Gardner Minshew II passed for a WSU record seven touchdowns. The script flipped Friday night, however, as Minshew folded in the snow, passing for a season-worst 152 yards and two interceptions.

WSU’s defense continued its great season, holding both opponents to 28 points. The Cougars forced seven turnovers in their final two regular season games while forcing 11 punts. The Cougs couldn’t stop the Husky run game as they allowed 258 rushing yards en route to losing the Apple Cup and the Pac-12 North.

WSU (10-2, 7-2) will wait to learn its bowl fate on Sunday.

1. University of California, Berkeley (Last week: 3)

Cal collected its seventh win of the season Saturday with a 33-21 win over a desperate University of Colorado team.

Cal redshirt freshman quarterback Chase Garbers was efficient, passing for two touchdowns and 116 yards. The Golden Bears’ offense was sluggish as Cal only tallied 211 total yards and punted eight times. They were an embarrassing 1-17 on third downs in the game.

The Golden Bears’ defense was spectacular, picking off Colorado junior quarterback Steven Montez three times, including two which were returned for touchdowns in the first two minutes of the game. Cal held Colorado to 318 total yards while forcing five turnovers, defeating the Buffaloes and eliminating them from bowl eligibility.

California (7-4, 4-4) hosts Stanford University for the Big Game on Saturday.

1. University of Oregon (Last week: 5)

The Ducks ended their regular season on a two-game winning streak, defeating Arizona State 31-29 on Nov. 17 and Oregon State 55-15 on Friday.

The Ducks’ offense was electrifying, putting up 449 yards against Arizona State and 510 yards against the Beavers. Oregon was clean in the Civil War, punting only four times and never turning the ball over.

This was not the case in the Arizona State game, as the Ducks turned the ball over four times while punting six times. Oregon’s offense continues to have sloppy games, which could be a problem in a bowl game.

The Duck defense had a great two games, holding ASU to 324 yards and OSU to 336. Oregon’s defense forced five turnovers and 12 punts in its two victories.

Oregon (8-4, 5-4) will learn its bowl assignment on Sunday.

1. Stanford University (Last week: 4)

Stanford survived a shootout in the Rose Bowl, defeating UCLA 49-42.

The Cardinal offense was dynamic, totaling 470 yards. Junior quarterback KJ Costello had himself a game, passing for 344 yards, five touchdowns and one interception. Senior running back Bryce Love had a bright spot in his disappointing season, running for 85 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries.

Stanford’s defense was awful, allowing 42 points to a 3-8 Bruins side. The Cardinal defense allowed 528 total yards, 466 of which were passing yards. Stanford’s defense was able to force two turnovers, but the Cardinal defense is a major concern for Stanford this bowl season.

Stanford (7-4, 5-3) heads to Berkeley for the Big Game on Saturday.

1. Oregon State University (Last week: 6)

The Beavers’ season ended in disappointment as they fell 55-15 to in-state rival Oregon.

The Beavers’ offense fell flat in its final two games, failing to keep pace with either of its opponents. OSU never had a chance against Washington or Oregon, trailing at halftime 35-16 and 21-3 respectively. Slow starts killed the Beavers in these games just as they have all season.

OSU’s defense has been disastrous. They allowed 97 points and 1,013 total yards in their final two games. Oregon State is once again the worst team in the Pac-12 North and this year the margin appears to have grown.

Oregon State (2-10, 1-8) has completed its 2018 campaign. The Beavers will begin their 2019 season on Aug. 30 when they host Oklahoma State University.

SHAWN P. O'CONNOR, Evergreen reporter

Shawn P. O'Connor is a junior broadcasting major from Oak Harbor, Wash., he worked with his local fire department when he was in high school.