Colfax Library will host 3D printing orientation class

Class will show how individuals, businesses can use process

IAN SMAY, Evergreen reporter

The Whitman County Library in Colfax will host a 3D printing orientation class for the public at 6 p.m. Wednesday.

The event will be held in the Colfax Library’s Technology Education Knowledge Center, according to a news release. The library purchased a 3D printer with funding from a grant from the Innovia Foundation. The technology is open to public use.

The machine was made available to Whitman County residents in late October. People can email the library files they want to have printed or bring in a USB drive, James Morasch, Whitman County Library systems administrator, told The Daily Evergreen in October.

The cost of using the printer is $1 with an additional 10 cents per gram of printer filament used. A similar device is used in both Jennings Elementary School and Colfax Junior-Senior High School.

Morasch said in a previous interview the 3D printer works much like a hot glue gun. He also said the library wanted to add the service to give rural residents more opportunities.

“We’re offering the 3D printing services [because] it’s just not something a lot of people would choose to invest in and so the library is filling that role,” he said.

More information on the class or 3D printing can be found at the Whitman County Libraries website or by phone at 509-397-4366.

IAN SMAY, Evergreen reporter

Ian Smay is a senior journalism & media production major, with an emphasis in broadcast news, from Dayton, Washington. He is also minoring in criminal...