New board members chosen at hospital

Goals include shifting from paper to electronic form medical records

New board members chosen at hospital

Rueben Mayes, the chief development officer for the Pullman Regional Hospital Foundation, explains how the hospital plans to improve access to efficient, affordable and accessible health care for people in Pullman.

JENIN REYES | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JENIN REYES | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JENIN REYES | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ANGELICA RELENTE, Evergreen reporter

Five community members joined the Pullman Regional Hospital Foundation to serve as board directors and continue to execute the hospital’s philanthropy.

Rueben Mayes, chief development officer at the Pullman Regional Hospital Foundation, said the foundation is responsible for generating revenue for hospital equipment and programs. Within the board, there are different categories in the internal and external committees.

Mayes said board directors serve for three years and are able to renew their position for another three. He said they attempt to have a variety of members with different work backgrounds who want to put effort into supporting the hospital and its mission.

“I get to work [with] these people that sacrifice their time and energy and resources to do bigger [things] than themselves,” he said. “That’s pretty powerful.”

Mayes said one of the main goals for this year was to secure at least $1 million for cardiology and imaging equipment after the hospital acquired a new cardiologist a year and a half ago.

Goals for next year include developing a medical residency program for students and switching from paper to electronic medical records, he said.

Board Director Adam Lincoln, who is also Pullman’s city administrator, said he decided to be a part of the board for personal reasons aside from his day-to-day job. Lincoln said his mom used to work for a hospital in Spokane Valley which allowed him to familiarize himself with the facility.

“I started volunteering there when I was about 14 [and] I volunteered there until I was done with high school,” Lincoln said. “I just have this really deep appreciation for the hospital system.”

He said he’s involved in the finance, investment and gala committees. Lincoln thinks he can contribute to the gala committee by assisting those who decide to put their items up for auction.

“I’m not sure how much help I’ll be on that one because I’m colorblind,” Lincoln said. “I know they had a meeting a couple weeks ago that dealt with the different designs [of] colors.”

He said he also advocates for the switch from paper to electronic medical records.

“Every time I go to a doctor’s office, I’m filling out the HIPAA form [which protects patient privacy],” Lincoln said. “Having something that’s electronic … [and] has access to any of my health care providers is totally worth the investment.”

Board Director Connie Newman, who is also a real estate agent, is another addition to the board. She said she will be working with the Regional High School Athletic Training Program committee, which is a program that provides certified athletic trainers to local school districts in case of an injury during a game or practice.

Newman said committee members plan to make the program sustainable and find ways to provide long-term funding. They also hope to expand the program in other rural communities, she said.

“Some of these little towns don’t even have ambulance services that transport,” she said. “Having a trainer right there on the field that can assess the situation … creates a much better outcome for our Whitman County athletes.”

ANGELICA RELENTE, Evergreen Reporter

Angelica is a sophomore Journalism and Media Production major from Hawaii.