UI football player faces rape charge, suspension

ANGELICA RELENTE and RACHEL SUN

A University of Idaho football player was arrested Saturday after police were informed of an on-campus rape Friday morning.

Freshman defensive back Kyree Curington was charged for rape with a bond set at $75,000, according to the Latah County Jail roster.

A warrant was issued after a parent from California called Moscow Police Department just after 5 a.m. Friday to report a possible sexual assault at Wallace Residence Center, according to the MPD press log.

The university suspended Curington from the team while the university investigates an “alleged incident on campus as it relates to the Student Code of Conduct,” according to a statement from UI, which was sent in an email from Jodi Walker, director of communications. MPD is also conducting their own investigation.

Curington, a Holy Cross High School graduate from New Orleans, Louisiana, was awarded a scholarship to the UI in February.

He previously faced charges of battery this spring, which were later dropped, after being involved in a street fight with two other teens and a group of older men, according to a report by NOLA.com.

A witness said the teens were defending themselves and that the older men directed racial slurs and threw bottles at Curington.