University of Idaho will demolish King Road house

Steps to be taken to help heal the community

Demolition+is+set+to+begin+sometime+in+the+spring.+Sunday%2C+February+26%2C+2023.+

MASON MARON

Demolition is set to begin sometime in the spring. Sunday, February 26, 2023.

SAYDEE PHOTHIVONGSA, Evergreen news editor

In an effort to heal from the tragic deaths of Xana Kernodle, Ethan Chapin, Madison Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves, University of Idaho has announced the upcoming demolition of the King Road home where the four were killed. 

Keeping people from further lingering and sensationalizing the crime scene is an important step in order to protect the dignity of the four students, said Jodi Walker, UI senior director of communications in an email. 

The owner of the King Road house has offered to give the house to the university and UI has accepted that offer. The demolition of the house is a healing step toward removing the physical structure in which the crimes were committed, according to a press release from UI president Scott Green. 

MIKAYLA FINNERTY
University of Idaho president C. Scott Green giving his condolences to the families of the homicide, Nov.16.

“Demolition also removes efforts to further sensationalize the crime scene,” he said in the release. 

Walker said that demolition of the house is set to begin sometime this spring. 

Early planning is also underway by a university committee, with student representation, to create a memorial for Kernodle, Chapin, Mogen and Goncalves, which will be located on the Moscow campus, although the exact location has not been decided, Green said in the release. 

“While the memorial will be a focal point of a garden, the garden will also be a place of remembrance of other students we have lost and a place of healing for those left behind,” he said in the release. 

There have also been memorial scholarships established for each Chapin, Kernodle and Mogen in their honor. The university is currently working with the Goncalves’ family to establish one in her name as well, Green said in the release. 

“We will never forget Xana, Ethan, Madison and Kaylee, and I will do everything in my power to protect their dignity and respect their memory. Together we will rebuild and continue to support each other. We are #vandalstrong,” he said in the release.