ASWSU approves recycling initiative to urge lawmakers

Bill would allow people to be compensated, give easier access

BONNIE JAMES | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Linda Vargas, Undocumented Inititatives ambassador and sophomore environmental science major, said the DACA renewal fund brings the cost down to $250.

DAISY ZAVALA, Evergreen managing editor

The ASWSU Senate finalized its decision to support campus recycling initiatives and confirmed two students to College of Arts and Sciences seats Wednesday.

Resolution for recycling initiatives approved

Senators Kiera Rust, Grant Esomonu and Chase Urquhart authored the resolution to improve recycling in Pullman.

Esomonu said people want to recycle but are unsure how to go about it.

“With this initiative, we hope to provide students with a sense of accomplishment when they recycle,” he said.

The resolution urges the Washington State Legislature to reintroduce and pass a bottle bill in the state.

According to the resolution, the bottle initiative would be modeled after what is done in states like Oregon and California.

Esomonu said the initiative would allow people to submit their recyclables to facilities and be compensated for them.

Rust said they hope to bring the resolution to Olympia.

“Through our research, we found that the implementation has to be top-down for it to really work here,” she said.

Esomonu said many people have recycled items without being cleaned, which can contaminate everything in the bin. When this happens, the items have to be shipped to landfill sites because of the contamination.

Rust said they are looking to implement the best ways to recycle in Pullman.

Confirmation

Linda Vargas was confirmed to the Arts and Sciences seat in the Senate.

Vargas said she hopes to implement a recycling and sustainability workshop for new students.

Daniel Hayward was also confirmed to an Arts and Sciences seat.

His goal is to work more closely with the student veterans to assist them and make them feel more welcome.