GIESORC holds inclusive fashion show

Fluid Fashion Project created to promote gender-fluid clothing

OLIVIA WOLF | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Racks of clothes hang in the Fluid Fashion community closet in the GIESORC office in the CUB. It is open to students, faculty and staff.

JOEL KEMEGUE, Evergreen mint editor

*This article was updated to correct that GPSA and Gamma Iota Omicron Fraternity, Inc. helped with the Fashion & Drag Show: United We Are Stronger. The article was also updated to include that Gamma Iota Omicron Fraternity, Inc. contributed to the fundingĀ of the show.

GIESORC will host Fashion & Drag Show: United We Are Stronger, a show promoting gender fluidity in fashion 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the CUB Senior Ballroom that is free to all students.

The show is a collaborative effort between GIESORCā€™s Fluid Fashion Project, GPSA and the Gamma Iota Omicron Fraternity, Inc., which contributed to the the funding of the show. The show was organized with support from WSUā€™s Department of Apparel Merchandising Design and Textiles, as well as clothing brands such as AudioHelkuik, Babeland Seattle, Foxers, and Shapeshifters. The groups hope to host a fashion show promoting gender-fluid clothing and escaping restricted gender and sexual identity.

The show will also feature performances from drag queens and kings such as Aquasha DeLusty, Roderick Von Schlong and more.

ā€œSo far itā€™s pretty interesting, and itā€™s nice to see all sorts of different people accepting themselves differently,ā€ said Samantha Villafuerte, freshman human development major and one of the models.

The project also included a photoshoot where models had their pictures taken with various articles of clothing from the GIESORC office by Mohsen Bchir, WSU grad student and photographer.

ā€œI saw something about an event at the GIESORC office called ā€˜Fluid Fashionā€™, I didnā€™t really know what that entailed but I went anyway,ā€ said International Student Advisor and one of the models Nitivia Jones. ā€œAnd it turned out we were trying some of the clothes from the GIESORC closet and a graduate student was taking our picture.ā€

Jones said the show aims to represent fluid fashion, or fashion that is more non-binary and grants more freedom with gender and sexual identity.

ā€œI feel like itā€™s expressing yourself and not constraining to male or female, regardless of if you identify with either,ā€ Villafuerte said. ā€œKind of just seeing what you like, wearing it, and calling it your own.ā€

Jones said she has never modeled before.

ā€œIt was fun to have a semi-professional take my picture and itā€™s just a fun and inclusive environment,ā€ she said.

Villafuerte and said audiences can expect fashion, performances, and a night that ā€œshowcases what fluid fashion has to offer.ā€