Letter: Learning about the different meanings of life

Elayne wants to help people have a voice and have the opportunity to inspire others

Elayne+Rodriguez%2C+a+Daily+Evergreen+reporter%2C+posed+during+a+football+game.+She+was+a+member+of+several+student+groups+on+campus.+

COURTESY OF ELAYNE RODRIGUEZ

Elayne Rodriguez, a Daily Evergreen reporter, posed during a football game. She was a member of several student groups on campus.

ELAYNE RODRIGUEZ, Evergreen reporter

As the journey as a WSU student is coming to an end, I have never been so happy to no longer deal with the excessive levels of anxiety, lack of sleep and overthinking from homework, projects and deadlines.

Instead, I will now have to worry about much more extreme things, like loan bills, finding a career, taxes, good credit score and making big girl decisions. But somehow, I am okay with that.

During the beginning years as a university student, I felt that everything was quickly going downhill. My young life was falling apart, but what I failed to realize was that the transition from high school to a university was coming together for my highest good to help me become mentally and emotionally prepared for the “real” world.

I eventually adapted to the changes and realized that it will always be a constant thing. It was hard having to go through the situation by myself, but amazingly it was where it led to finding myself.

I have lost important people and, in some cases, lost my mind during my college years. But without the downfalls, I would not have appreciated the values of happiness and memories. In other words, I may have lost but I have gained.

Fortunately, I have met my life-long friends through my involvement in programs and companies like the Multicultural Student Mentoring Program, Northwest Public Broadcasting, Southside Dining Services and at the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication.

The experiences motivated me to want to help others, and I found myself fully determined to spread positivity and love on and off campus.

I became a student-mentor to help guide freshman students with resources and building friendships during their transition.

Also, working with other diverse groups was enlightening to me. I never knew other students dealt through the same thing as I did, and I was more than happy to help find their place at school.

I even got out of my comfort zone to join the Daily Evergreen. I was nervous, but I knew it was one of the best opportunities to gain skill and to learn more about the Pullman community that I called home.

In my opinion, hearing people’s stories is like learning about the different meanings of life on how various lifestyles can bring peace and gratitude to others.

My favorite question to ask was always “What made you become the person you are today?” There was almost never an exact answer to this question, and I love that.

But I knew I always wanted to help people help and bring the opportunity to have their voices heard that can help to inspire others, like how it did with me.

So, thank you, Washington State University, friends, family, colleagues, etc. I would not have been where I am at right now mentally, emotionally and physically without the guidance, support and resources to be closer to my goals and with myself.