Scholarship honors alumni

JAKOB THORINGTON, Former Evergreen reporter

The death of a WSU alumni in 2018 has led to the creation of a WSU exclusive scholarship. The family of Delbert Hayes has donated $3 million to fund the scholarship.

The Delbert J. Hayes Scholarship in Accounting is a full-ride award which covers tuition, fees, housing, books and dining.

Michelle Chapman, WSU Carson College of Business assistant director for student engagement and scholarship, said the scholarship is awarded to one student per year. The scholarship can be renewed for the remainder of years the student attends WSU. 

According to the scholarship’s application website, applicants must be a graduate from Clarkston High School and be an accounting major with a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.

The first recipient of the scholarship was Sydney Sewell, a junior majoring in accounting and management information systems.

Sue McMurray, WSU Carson College of Business assistant director of communications, said the scholarship will support full-time WSU students. 

According to a press release issued by the Carson College of Business, Hayes grew up on a farm and orchard in Clarkston Heights. 

“The idea behind it is to significantly help students from the Clarkston community and to see that paid forward to WSU,” McMurray said.

Hayes studied accounting at WSU and graduated from the university in 1957. He became Nike’s executive vice president after befriending Nike founder Phil Knight when they worked together at Price Waterhouse, according to the press release. 

The deadline to apply is Feb. 16. The recipient will be announced Feb. 18.