Chinook hosts CPR training

Sixty-four slots are available for both training sessions; attendees will be certified for two years

COURTESY OF ASWSU

Victoria Fitzpatrick, ASWSU director of student safety, said the training offered includes CPR, AED and first-aid. Two sessions are available on Feb. 8 in Chinook 150. The first session begins at 9 a.m. and the second at 3 p.m.

ALANA LACKNER, Evergreen managing editor

WSU will be hosting two safety training sessions Feb. 8. 64 people can attend each session. 

The training is a collaboration between ASWSU and UREC. The class will use materials from the American Red Cross which include CPR, first aid and automated external defibrillator training.

There are two available sessions and both will be in Chinook 150. The first begins at 9 a.m. and the second begins at 3 p.m. 

Attendees will be certified and the certification will last for two years.

Victoria Fitzpatrick, ASWSU director of student safety, said the recent death of WSU student Sam Martinez is why she pushed for this training to be offered.

“Coming into my position, one thing I was really passionate about was providing a free training for students to become CPR/AED/first-aid certified,” Fitzpatrick said. “[But at first] I was focused on another project trying to install more lighting on campus. When Sam Martinez passed away, I started really thinking about it again.”

Fitzpatrick said she began working out the logistics over winter break. When she came back she contacted University Recreation, she said.

“When I talked to them everything came together,” Fitzpatrick said.

UREC Programming Director Joanne Greene said the UREC staff was glad to help because they believe it’s a good cause.

“It’s beneficial to have this training because it gives you the opportunity to help people and it’s a great certification to have if you’re looking for a job,” Greene said.

Fitzpatrick said almost all slots for the training are full. She’s excited so many people are coming, she said.

She worked with the Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils to get Greek organization members to attend, she said. 

“You never want to actually have to use CPR,” Fitzpatrick said. “But in the circumstance where an emergency might arise you’re going to be so grateful. You could save someone’s life.”

The training is free for all attendees, which Fitzpatrick said was one of her goals. She said she wanted to make the training as available to students as possible.

“I encourage all students if they have the chance — even if it can’t be this time then next time — if you can, get certified,” Fitzpatrick said. “You never know when something’s going to happen. You want to be safe.”

This image has been updated to correct a misidentification of Victoria Fitzpatrick.