CARES Act funding split between students, university

Students had to complete a survey to receive money; WSU used money to cover university expenses

TAYLOR OLSON | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Phil Weiler, vice president for marketing and communications, said the money awarded to each student ranged from $500 to $1,500 depending on their financial situation.

ANDREA GONZALEZ, Evergreen reporter

WSU received $21.76 million from the CARES Act, and the money will be split between students and the university’s COVID-19 expenses. 

Brian Dixon, assistant vice president of Student Financial Services, said the CARES Act was a federal law that helps address financial hardships during the pandemic. 

Phil Weiler, vice president for Marketing and Communications, said the money awarded to each student ranged from $500 to $1,500 depending on their financial situation. 

Weiler said WSU has experienced about $17 million in costs and lost revenue since May 15.

“It’s helpful to be able to defray costs,” he said, “but the university is still going to be ending up, I think, with lost revenue.”

WSU used funding from the CARES Act to cover some expenses including the university’s computer loan and internet programs, Dixon said. Funding was also used to refund housing fees to students.

WSU has to spend all of the CARES Act funding within one calendar year, he said.

Dixon said the amount of money WSU received was dependent on various factors, such as the number of full-time PELL Grant students. 

In order to receive CARES Act funding from the university, students had to complete a self-certification survey which they received via text or email, he said.

The survey involves clicking ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to indicate whether the student had COVID-19-related expenses, Dixon said. After the student is certified, the funds would be disbursed directly to them. 

“We’ll do our best to match them up with help with the funds that are available,” Dixon said.