Delayed parking permit renewals, sales to begin July 9

Permits can be renewed, bought on Transportation Services’ website this month; full refunds available until Aug. 26

WSU+Transportation+Services+delayed+renewing+and+selling+parking+permits+in+April+due+to+the+uncertainty+of+COVID-19.+

DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

WSU Transportation Services delayed renewing and selling parking permits in April due to the uncertainty of COVID-19.

ANDREA GONZALEZ, Evergreen reporter

Students can renew their parking permits through WSU Transportation Services on July 9 and buy permits on July 28.

Chris Boyan, WSU Transportation Services associate director, said permit renewals and permit sales typically occur earlier in the year around late April. 

However, due to COVID-19 there was a lot of uncertainty, so WSU Transportation Services decided to delay the permit renewals and sales until July, he said. 

There are two types of sales: permit renewals and parking permits, he said.

Permit renewals are for people who want to renew their permit, which can be done 10 a.m. July 9 until July 26, Boyan said. 

He said students who returned their permit due to COVID-19 can renew it during the permit renewal period. 

Boyan said students who are currently living or will live in the residence halls for fall 2020 are not eligible to renew their permit. This is because they need to have an active housing contract. WSU Transportation Services will not know who has a housing contract until a little later in the year, Boyan said. 

The Crimson priority sale will begin 10 a.m. July 14 until July 20, but the sale is only for eligible people who will be contacted via email. 

He said the open permit sales are for people who do not have a permit but want to buy one. They can purchase those permits 10 a.m. July 28. 

People can join a waitlist if the permit they want is not available, but students are encouraged to buy another permit first and then join a waitlist for the one they want, Boyan said. Permits can be returned for a full refund until Aug. 26. 

He said there is a cap on permit sales because WSU Transportation Services wants to make sure people have a good chance of finding a parking space within their zone.  

The closer to the center of campus a parking lot is, the higher the price for a permit, he said. Students should check the proximity of their parking lot to their classes to ensure they get the best permit.