Fimmakers’ work showcased by SEB

Amateur filmmakers on campus are offered an opportunity to share their creative passion through the Guerilla Film Challenge.

The Guerilla Film Challenge is hosted by the Student Entertainment Board (SEB) with the intention of getting students involved in the digital media process.

“The real Guerilla Film Challenge is an international thing that has become popular in recent years. Modern technology makes it easy to create art so students respond really well to it,” SEB Spotlight Programmer Sophia King said.

Student filmmakers have the chance to win either $400 for first place or $100 for second place by assembling in teams to create short films. At the kick-off meeting held last week, teams were assigned categories and given 48 hours to create their final submission.

“It’s very fun and gives students the opportunity to work under pressure and on a deadline. It maximizes what they can create in a limited period of time,” King said.

The student showcase will be held tomorrow evening and will feature a reception offering free ice cream, popcorn, a photo booth and music beginning at 6:30 p.m. At 7 p.m., the short film entries will be shown to a panel of judges in the CUB Auditorium, and the winner will be announced at the end of the night, King said.

The winner will receive $400 and the title of the Best Washington State University Short Film 2016.

The Guerilla Film Challenge student showcase is free and open to the public. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the CUB Gallery.

Reporting by Gabriella Ramos