WSU offers bulk beef orders

Cattle raised near WSU meats lab; on-campus butchers will cater to any type of steak cut

SPENCER ECHON

People can order quarter, half or whole cow carcasses. The cows have been ethically raised.

SYDNEY BROWN, Evergreen reporter

Beef lovers can now order in bulk from WSU’s premium beef locker, enjoying meat from cattle born and raised within 12 miles of campus.

Brent McCann, WSU Department of Animal Science beef operations manager, said each fall, he takes orders for quarter, half or whole carcasses. Whole orders include about 400 pounds of ethically-raised beef that is cut to order at the WSU Meats Lab, he said. 

“The cattle we use are cared for to the nth degree,” McCann said. “I do my best to provide them the best nutrition at every turn.”

The cows are raised at Wawawai Canyon and moved to the beef center on campus during the summer, McCann said. 

WSU provides ample food — often corn and hay — for cattle to grow naturally over the summer and then be ready for processing by the fall, McCann said. 

The system also helps animal science students get hands-on experience in livestock production, McCann said. Students get to know each cow individually, learning about their family tree and pedigrees before processing.

The WSU Meats Lab also specializes in breeding and processing Angus and Wagyu beef, both of which have high-quality flavor and tenderness, McCann said. The lab also often keeps carcasses in a freezer for two to three weeks to “age” it, which amplifies the quality of the cuts, McCann said. 

McCann said the prices are set with local people in mind while also being competitive with other beef producers on the Palouse. 

A whole or half order costs $3 per pound of hanging weight; a quarter is $3.10 of hanging weight, and staff at the meats lab will wrap the specific cuts for $.80 per pound of hanging weight. 

Hanging weight refers to the weight of the carcass before edible meat is cut from it, McCann said.

Those interested in ordering beef, either in bulk or in smaller, boxed orders, can visit the animal science department’s premium beef website or contact McCann directly at 509‑335‑3777.