WSU Libraries implements new video database

Library patrons can access more than 72,000 videos for free; WSU will continue to use Kanopy

AVON+is+being+used+to+meet+WSU%E2%80%99s+demands+for+academic+videos+and+video+streaming.+AVON+is+more+affordable+

WEBSITE SCREENSHOT

AVON is being used to meet WSU’s demands for academic videos and video streaming. AVON is more affordable

ABBY DAVIS, Evergreen copy chief

WSU Libraries is offering students and faculty members a new video database, which contains more than 72,000 videos.

ProQuest’s Academic Video Online is licensed through the Orbis Cascade Alliance, which is a library association multiple universities in Washington, Oregon and Idaho use. The video database is funded through the Orbis Cascade Alliance e-book program, and will come at no cost to the university, said Joel Cummings, head of collection development for WSU Libraries.

There is high demand for video streaming and academic videos from students and faculty members. The new database provides a large number of relevant and useful materials for library patrons, Cummings said.

“We’re very excited about the potential of this database to assist our students,” he said. “Especially in an environment where school is mostly online.”

AVON is more affordable than Kanopy, WSU’s current video platform, Cummings said.

Christy Zlatos, liaison librarian for WSU Libraries, said Kanopy’s high price is the primary reason the university started using AVON.

“We could no longer sustain [Kanopy] and still run the library,” she said.

WSU will still use Kanopy. However, they discontinued one of Kanopy’s programs, which required the library to purchase individual films for year-long access. If faculty members needed a film for more than one year, WSU libraries were required to repurchase it. This was very costly, Cummings said.

“This is a problem with academic institutions,” Cummings said. “Licenses for the institutions are expensive.”

The AVON database was implemented last month and is linked to Search It, WSU’s library catalog. Faculty members and students can simply look up their desired material on the website, he said.

“I am excited that faculty and students can see a treasure trove of viewing opportunities they can access for free,” Zlatos said.

While AVON will not entirely replace Kanopy, Zlatos said she hopes Kanopy users transition to AVON because it takes time for users to get used to new programs.

“If we could get more people using AVON, we would love it,” she said.