WSU students create GoFundMe for students in need of educational resources

Project is part of human development class; goal is to raise $10,000

LAUREN PETTIT

All funds will be donated to First Book, an organization that gives educational resources to students who do not have access to them. 

ALEXANDRIA OSBORNE, Editor-in-chief

WSU students in Human Development 205 set up a GoFundMe to send donations to First Book, which is an organization that provides educational resources to students who do not have access to them. 

Miranda Strey, professor for Human Development 205, said she assigns a community service project to her students every semester.

“Whatever [the students] choose has to be service-based,” she said.

The class was split into individual groups of three to discuss ideas for the project, said Sabrina Halbe, freshman business administration and hospitality business management double major.

The students in each group then presented their ideas to the class, said Andrea Bust, senior social sciences major. After all the student groups shared their ideas, the entire class voted on what idea to move forward with, then decided where they wanted to send the money. 

Halbe said she, Bust and Kodie Kolden, junior kinesiology major, brainstormed donating to an organization that helps children during the pandemic.

“[Children] don’t really have control over what they don’t have access to,” she said. 

The class’s goal is to raise $10,000, Kolden said. As of Nov 19, the class raised $375, according to the GoFundMe page. 

“Everybody kind of thought that helping kids during this time was the best idea,” he said. 

The class will accept donations until 6 p.m. Dec. 9.