Track breaks records in the sun

Individuals on the Washington State Track & Field team continue to etch their names in the record books this season.

This time it was C.J. Allen, who ran the ninth fastest 400m hurdles time in WSU history, Saturday at the 57th Annual Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut, Calif. The sophomore from Allyn, Washington, placed fourth in the event, with a lifetime best time of 50.83 seconds.

Allen, the defending Pac-12 Conference 400m hurdles champion said he had an easy run with easy strides.

“I’m a hard-nosed competitor and like the challenge,” Allen said.

Wayne Phipps, WSU Director of Cross Country/Track & Field, said it was a great meet for WSU. He said the Cougars’ women sprinters and hurdlers impressed him, despite the fact they were tired. He was also impressed with his throwers.

“The javelin throwers had a great meet led by an amazing performance by Brad Stevens, who smashed the WSU freshmen record,” Phipps said.

Stevens said he had been chasing the freshmen record all year, but had been falling just short by a couple of feet. On his second-to-last throw, he threw around 223 feet, but stepped over the line by a couple of inches. The previous freshman record of 221-10 was set by Chad McKinney, and had held strong for 25 years.

Stevens said he calmed himself down, and on his last throw, he shattered the record by 12 feet, throwing the javelin 233-feet 2 inches.

“Technically, all I did differently was look where I was throwing, and that made a big difference,” Stevens said.

Phipps also said he was impressed with the performances of senior Forrest Shaffer and freshman Michael Williams. Shaffer got below nine minutes in the steeple for the first time, and Williams ran what he described as a great 5k.

The Cougars will return to Pullman this weekend for the 15th Annual Cougar Invitational meet at the Mooberry Track Complex.

Reporting by Beau Baily