Home sweet apartment: Best apartment complex

Free printing alone might be enough to entice students to rent with Campus Commons apartments and vote the company Best Apartment Complex. But if not, the list of amenities goes on.

Larial Jacobs, property manager at Campus Commons said the amenities are one of the main attractants for student tenants.

Right now the company is building a heated indoor pool and hot tub, she said. Campus Commons also has community lounges with TVs, study rooms and a business center, she said. Next year there are plans to include a cable and internet package in the monthly rent, Jacobs said.

“They’re all about student housing and what’s best for the students,” she said.

Another reason people prefer Campus Commons might be because of the low move-in rates, she said.

“We don’t require prepaid rent,” Jacobs said. “We also do individual leases, so people don’t have to worry about being responsible for their roommates,” she said.

Everyone who works at campus commons is committed to the student experience, Jacobs said. The offices are open seven days a week to help tenants, and the staff is fantastic, she said. 

“We have a combined experience of over 40 years,” Jacobs said. “So, we know what we’re doing.”

The Grove, a new addition to the Pullman student housing scene, took second place.

A Street Apartments tied for third place, a result property manager Cheri Menke said was due to their location.   

Located on College Hill, the apartments are convenient for students commuting to campus each day, she said. The apartments are also fairly new as they were built in 2005, Menke said. Anyone can live there who fits the credit and background check criteria, but demand for A Street Apartments is so high, they often have to filter through applicants by those who have previously rented with them, she said.

“Typically you need to be a Highland resident first to get in those apartments,” Menke said.

A Street Apartments are managed by Highland Property Management, a local company owned by a former Cougar, Menke said.

“It’s nice that local owners are taking care of our cougars now,” Menke said.

Similarly, the Emerald Downs complex likely tied for third because of the location, said Debbie Thompsen, general manager of the property. The express bus stops just at the end of the driveway, she said. Also, they’re great apartments, she said.

“We take great pride in maintaining the property interior and exterior,” she said

If tenants have any problems, we’re sure to provide the services needed to fix the problem, Thompsen said. The people on hand to help tenants are friendly and great at their jobs, she said.

“We’re committed to accommodating tenants,” she said.