Letter from the editor: My love letter to the Evergreen

See ya later Pullman!

Leaving+this+group+of+editors+will+be+one+of+my+hardest+goodbyes.+

JARED GRACE

Leaving this group of editors will be one of my hardest goodbyes.

SAYDEE PHOTHIVONGSA, Evergreen news editor

When I accepted the news editor position, I was SO fearful. I didn’t know if I had what it takes to be an editor, to be trusted with reviewing stories before they are published. I also didn’t really know anyone else who worked in the newsroom. To be honest, I kind of thought I would hate this job. 

As I became news editor, I prepared for an insanely stressful semester where I would feel overwhelmed 24/7, always feeling like I was drowning. Instead, I was met with a loving and accepting newsroom that leaves my heart feeling full every time I’m there. Not only that, but I am so proud of the work and coverage that has come from the news section this semester. 

Over the course of the semester, our news team tackled some really important topics such as the controversial biodiesel plant, Service and Activities fee allocations, the State of Idaho v. Bryan Kohberger case, and the Aspen Heights failure. 

As a team, we have also covered inspiring and feel-good stories such as a feature on Miss Black Washington USA (who is a WSU student!), UREC and ORC staff using their skills to save lives, and a WSU alum who is breaking stereotypes about disability. 

As I look back on the news coverage this semester, I feel so much pride for the diversity, visibility and empathy that are in each and every story. I truly could have never imagined being this happy with the work we produced. 

To our amazing reporters Alisa, Chloe, Erin, Grey, Josiah, Gabrielle, Kassandra, Musfirah, Brandon and Shana: I AM SO PROUD OF YOU ALL! I know being a news reporter is not always the most fabulous job, but you guys are the reason the news section was such a force in Evergreen this semester and we cannot thank you enough for helping our vision for the news section come to fruition. 

To my fellow editors Sam, Trevor, Gabrielle, Dorothy, Parker, Brandon, Mason, Hailee, Kestra and Mikayla: I don’t think I would rather be locked in the newsroom every Wednesday (for legal purposes this is a joke) with any other group of people. You all made this so much more than a job. I’m really really thankful to have had a place this semester to laugh, to feel accepted, appreciated and at home. One of Mikayla’s big goals for the semester was to make the newsroom like a family, and I truly think we accomplished that. 

To my newsroom bestie Puneet: I am not kidding when I say you are the backbone of the news section. You have saved my ass too many times to count and I truly value your journalistic opinion. You have shown me the kind of journalist that I want to be and you truly make me a better reporter. It has been such an honor to collaborate with you on important stories this semester such as our Kohberger explainer and coverage of a Pullman sex offender. There is no one else I would want to experience this semester with and I am so thankful to know you! I know there are big and bright things ahead for you and I can’t wait to be there cheering you on every step of the way as we pursue our careers. 

This is the kind of place that is hard to say goodbye to and I honestly don’t want to leave just yet. Luckily, I won’t be too far away after graduation. Over the summer, I will be working as an editorial intern for the Spokesman-Review in Spokane. 

OK, now that I am blubbering like a baby, I just want to give one last “I love you” to the Evergreen. This newsroom shaped me into the journalist I am today and made me fall in love with writing all over again. I made lots of mistakes here, learned a ton, and made some of the best memories of my college career. The Evergreen is the reason I will continue to pursue journalism and story-telling. This is a special place!