Broken Promises: Aspen Heights’ awaited move-in canceled for many disappointed students

Students left to question where they will live after Aspen Heights break their leases

Aspen+Heights%2C+Jan.+12%2C+2023.+

DEX ALTAVILLA

Aspen Heights, Jan. 12, 2023.

GABRIELLE BOWMAN, Evergreen news co-editor

Aspen Heights management sent out lease terminations on Feb. 20, informing several residents that they will not be moving into the apartments they were once promised. 

Certain residents had already paid a couple of months’ rent before they were notified they would not be able to move in and if they sign the lease release form they will not be able to get the money back, a resident who wishes to remain anonymous said. 

“My friends lost out on maybe $1,400,” they said.

As some residents began to move into their units at Aspen Heights, many others were informed they will never be able to move in due to their units not being prepared by the assigned move-in date of Feb. 28. 

“Due to not having a formal move-in date to provide you, Aspen Heights will release you of your Lease Agreement,” the email sent to residents said. 

They were also informed that they would either need to vacate their current residence in the Ruckus previously paid for by Aspen Heights, or they had the option to sign a personal lease with them for which the residents are financially responsible for. This has to be decided on or by March 15.

Sophomore psychology major Camille Weltman, one of the residents who was notified they would not move into Aspen Heights, said most people were excited to be moving in, however, she was still very hesitant because of past statements the management made telling them they would be moving in the past. 

“They really got their hopes up,” she said. 

Aspen Heights gave its residents a very short turnaround to find new housing. 

“I thought I was gonna have to find an immediate move-in even though it’s literally the middle of the semester and there’s nowhere to go,” Weltman said. 

Aspen Heights also seems to be “randomly” moving their residents into units, as those who had top priority housing are part of the sum of people not able to move in, Weltman said. 

“At first, we thought it was based on where the unit is in terms of property,” the anonymous resident said about how Aspen Heights is moving in residents. “We originally chose two homes that were right across from each other but they put us in a completely different unit that’s nowhere near where we first chose.”

Many changes were made before residents started moving in. The location of the units and home types were different from what they originally signed the lease for, the anonymous student said.

Weltman said the situation has been going on for around 8 months now and many residents are frustrated and overall done with the situation. 

“We’ve all just had so many mental breakdowns. I think at this point I’m so disconnected from the situation,” she said. 

However, Weltman said she is relieved she finally has her answer on if she was going to move into Aspen Heights or not. Unfortunately, the answer was no.

According to the email sent to residents by Aspen Heights, they plan to stay in contact with those who were not able to live at Aspen Heights and share when they have occupancy available. There will also be special options offered to those individuals. 

“They told us apparently that we would get really special offers, but now I don’t really trust their word,” the anonymous resident said. 

However, these residents warn those who plan to move into Aspen Heights.

“Wait until you know that you can tour the property and the units. Speak to the leasing office in person,” the anonymous resident said.