College football is wide open – NCAA week eight

How the Pac-12 fared to midway-plus
The+Ducks+and+Cougs+line+up+for+an+extra-point+conversion%2C+Oct.+21%2C+in+Eugene%2C+Oregon.+
The Ducks and Cougs line up for an extra-point conversion, Oct. 21, in Eugene, Oregon.

After leading the Washington Huskies to a huge top-10 victory over the Oregon Ducks one week ago, Michael Penix Jr. seemed to be the consensus top pick for the Heisman Trophy. North Carolina came into week eight undefeated and a sneaky pick to run the table and make a run at the College Football Playoff and they matched up with one-win Virgina. 

Penix Jr. had a disastrous game and the Tar Heels lost in spectacular fashion. If one thing is certain in college football, it is that there is never a thing called certainty. 

Ohio State vs. Penn State

Ohio State with home field advantage, Penn State with one of the best defensive units in the country. The Nittany Lions defense did not dissapoint, but the play from QB Drew Allar left a lot to be desired. 

Holding the Buckeyes to just 10 points in each half kept Penn State in the game, but the defense could only do so much with a short-handed offense. A 20-12 final score gives Ohio State the keys to control their destiny, although Penn State is not completely out of the race. 

Allar finished the night just 18-of-42 for 191 yards and a TD, not the stat line he was hoping for or the one the team needed for success. Although far from perfect himself, Kyle McCord completely outdueled him with his 22-of-35 night for 286 yards and a touchdown. 

Marvin Harrison Jr. had himself a legacy game with 11 catches for 162 yards and the lone passing Ohio State TD, making sure the country knows he is in the top echelon of college wideouts. 

Virginia vs. North Carolina 

Coming into week eight win a single win over an FCS school, Virginia should not have been able to even keep this game close, let alone win it. North Carolina QB Drake Maye had his worst performance of the season, completing just 50% of his passes for 347 yards and two TDs with an interception. 

His completions went for a lot of yards, but the offense relied heavily on big gains to control their flow, something that is bound to crash and burn. 

Virginia’s offensive scheme seemed more polished, not something that you would expect when a one-win team faces an undefeated contender, but alas, that is college football. 

Alabama vs. Tennessee 

After snapping a 15-game losing streak in 2022, Tennessee was ready to build its own winning streak, but the might of the Crimson Tide was too much. Despite taking a loss early in the season and having uncertainty surrounding the QB position, Alabama came out on top 34-20.

Jalen Milroe only threw the ball 21 times, but had 220 yards and two TDs. Still, it was clear the offense goes through Jase McClellan with his 27 carries on the night. 

Not often does a team run the ball more often do they pass, especially at the top of college football, where elite QB play is what has been the most dominant scheme since 2010, but Alabama is testing that water after Georiga has proved its worth the past few seasons. 

Washington vs. Arizona State

After a big win against Oregon, UW looked ready to represent the Pac-12 in the College Football Playoff. With the help of a missed pass interference call and the ever-controversial Pac-12 refs, they snuck away with a 15-7 win over Arizona State and keep that hope alive.

Penix Jr. had his worst game as a Husky with only 275 yards and two interceptions, and the one-win Sun Devils proved that Washington is not only beatable, but they can be completely shut down. 

Utah vs. USC 

Caleb Williams still cannot take down the Utes. Throwing for just 256 yards and without a score, the Trojans still had the chance to win it if they could get a stop at the end of the game. 

Like a movie script, the defense faltered down the stretch and Utah kicked a game-winning field goal. Since the start of 2022, it seems as if Utah feeds off playing the role of grim reaper for the Pac-12 Conference, not allowing the team to find representation in the Pac-12 Championship.

Despite announcing QB Cam Rising will miss the rest of the season with injury, Bryson Barnes has held his own leading the Utes offense, evidenced by the 6-1 record and top-15 ranking he has the team sitting at. 

Florida State vs. Duke 

It looked like a trap game for the Seminoles, the best chance a team had to take them down on the rest of their schedule, but Florida State made relatively easy work of Duke. A 38-20 victory solidifies Jordan Travis as a Heisman contender and the Seminoles as playoff probables. 

Duke had 35 rushing attempts and just 22 passing attempts, sticking to their game plan and not letting Riley Leonard find his way through the air to get them back in it. While they will likely still make a bowl game, the loss exemplifies the flaws they have been able to overcome against worse opponents. 

WSU vs. Oregon 

The Cougs came to Autzen looking to prove something, they were better than their results against UCLA and Arizona. 

While they did prove that fact and Cam Ward proved he can perform well against a good defense, the Ducks still prevailed 38-24. Bo Nix, Bucky Irving and Jordan James proved to be too dominant of a three-headed monster for the WSU defense and Oregon continues their push to run the table.

Ward finished with 438 yards and a score, his best performance in a loss, but still not enough to come away with a win. 

Not the result the team wanted, but the fight they showed is exactly what they needed as they enter what should be an easier part of their schedule.