Volleyball bookends season with one final program record

Cougs have highest ranking to end season
The WSU women’s volleyball team plays an NCAA second-round match against Dayton, Dec. 2, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Despite the 2023 season being firmly in the rear-view mirror for WSU volleyball, the season is still bringing program records. After their season concluded in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament, the Cougs finished ranked No. 11 in the final AVCA rankings.

Their No. 11 ranking is the highest AVCA final season ranking in program history, their highest final ranking since 2002 and it is the third-highest overall ranking in program history. 

WSU finished the 2023 season 26-8 overall and went 14-6 in the final season of Pac-12 play. With 24 regular season wins, the Cougs achieved their highest mark during head coach Jen Greeny’s tenure. During the season, she led the team to a 14-match winning streak, an impressive stretch that went from the non-conference schedule into the first fourth of Pac-12 play.

Before playing Conference opponents, the Cougs had one of the toughest strengths of schedules in the nation. Playing the defending and eventual 2023 national champions Texas, Louisville, BYU and Baylor. Despite running the table in the NCAA Tournament, the Longhorns did not stand a chance against the Cougs, as WSU won 3-1 in Texas’ house. 

While Pittsburgh ended their season in the postseason, the Cougs had a lot of team and individual success in 2023.  

Led by their hard-hitters, three players earned AVCA All-Region Honors from WSU: Argentina Ung, Pia Timmer and Magda Jehlárová. Both Ung and Jehlárová also earned All-American honors, with the fifth-year middle blocker making the First Team and the setter from Mexico earning an honorable mention.

After beating several ranked teams during the regular season, the Cougs earned a No. 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament, meaning they would host the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament. Grand Canyon, Pepperdine and Dayton all came to the Palouse, with the Cougs taking down the Antelopes and Flyers to move on.

For their success during the 2023 season, as well as the rest of their careers, two players immediately began their professional careers. Jehlárová and libero Karly Basham were both selected in the inaugural Professional Volleyball Federation college draft.  Jehlárová went No. 2 overall and Basham got selected in the fifth round with the No. 32 overall pick.

As a team, the Cougs hit .286%, their single highest percentage as a team in program history. Jehlárová led the attack, individually hitting .424% and blocking 1.39 attacks per set. She finishes her career with 769 total blocks, an NCAA rally scoring era, Pac-12 and WSU program record.