‘Beautiful’: RTOP brings Broadway Carole King musical to community for first time

RTOP performing musical production on singer-songwriter’s life, career April 11–21
COURTESY OF MICHAEL TODD
Performers rehearsing for “Beautiful: A Carole King Musical.”

The Regional Theatre of the Palouse will be performing a production of the Broadway musical “Beautiful: The Carole King Musical” — the first of its kind in the community — from April 11–21.

The musical is a celebration of music icon Carole King’s life and career, from young songwriter to chart-topping trailblazer. The music in the play also follows King’s life and time, director Michael Todd said.

“Beautiful: The Carole King Musical” will wrap up RTOP’s current mainstage season.

“The play has not been done within a 75-mile radius so it’s really exciting to be bringing it to the Palouse for the first time,” Todd said.

Before doing a show, theatres must contact play publishing houses for rights and royalties. Then, they sign a contract for the amount of shows they have planned, Todd said.

Executive director John Rich made these opportunities possible through his stewardship, Todd said. Rich has built up RTOP producing theatre a nonpartisan nonprofit with the board directors runs.

He has a degree in theatre management from the University of Southern California, Todd said. Rich was crucial in the theatre’s design.

COURTESY OF MICHAEL TODD
A performer rehearsing for “Beautiful: A Carole King Musical.”

“It’s such great music, it’s more than a jukebox musical and it has the power to change people for the better,” Todd said. “The story is about Carol King coming into her own.”

The musical begins in 1958 and takes audiences through a musical journey up until the early ‘70s, Todd said.

Jim Sato, resident hair and makeup artist, is a founding member of RTOP and a Pullmanite at heart, Todd said. He graduated from the University of Southern California with a bachelor of arts in drama.

Sato has done professional work in Los Angeles and even became a member of the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists before settling back in Pullman.

“There’s a ton of wigs in this show because of all the years we go through,” Sato said.

Todd said the musical is one of his favorite shows he has seen in recent times, having seen it twice while it was on tour.

“It is such a feel-good show that makes people happy,” Todd said. “I think we need a lot more of that now more than ever; a good, happy feel-good show with a powerful message.”

RTOP aims to make the arts more accessible for students and art lovers, Todd said. 

Todd hopes to reach and inspire audiences with the musical and introduce new people to theatre. He said longtime fans of theatre will enjoy the musical, and so will King’s generation.

“It’s Carole King, singer-songwriter and Grammy recipient,” Sato said. “She’s iconic, one of the most successful female songwriters.”

RTOP is offering students discounts with proof of student ID at the door. Ticket prices are $30 in advance, $35 at the door and $15 for students with ID.

Patrons can purchase tickets to see “Beautiful: The Carole King Musical” online, or by calling RTOP’s box office at 509-334-0750.