ASWSU special election winners react

Five students join the Senate, College of Ed. seat remains empty

+Yaye+Sibide+and+Kadir+Nour+vote+for+ASWSU+senators+while+Bradely+Warren+helps+them+with+the+voting+process+Friday+in+the+CUB.

MATT ESTABROOK | The Daily Evergreen

Yaye Sibide and Kadir Nour vote for ASWSU senators while Bradely Warren helps them with the voting process Friday in the CUB.

LINH NGUYEN, Evergreen reporter

ASWSU held a special election Friday looking to fill six vacancies on the Senate in the All Campus, Uncertified, Business, Arts and Sciences and Education positions.

After winning the position as Senator of the College of Arts and Sciences, Jacob Lizarraga said he hopes to spread awareness about issues such as increasing student participation in voting.

“That’s your right as a [student],” Lizarraga, a senior microbiology major, said. “Exercise that right.”

After talking to some of his professors, Lizarraga also hopes to hold community forums in order to gain perspective on what students want. He said he wanted to provide more of a discussion between the student body and the Senate.

Lizarraga said he is excited to represent the students within his major by providing a voice for others. He also hopes to provide more awareness about health care initiatives by partnering with the College of Pharmacy.

“I’m ecstatic to be given this opportunity,” Lizarraga said. “I can’t really put words to it yet.”

As one of two ASWSU All Campus Senators, A’Jenae Hardwell said her goal was to make sure all students on campus feel safe. Hardwell said she hopes to reach students in marginalized groups by working with other senators to provide a better environment for campus climate discussions.

“I can’t just sit back and watch,” Hardwell, a junior psychology and human development double major, said. “I’m going to confidently work until I see steps towards change.”

By using social media as a platform for ASWSU, Hardwell also wants to provide transparency in the Senate so more students know what’s going on.

“I’m excited for what’s to come,” Hardwell said. “[To] see what I can do within this         position.”

Freshman economic sciences major Emma Taylor was elected as the second All Campus senator.

Ryan O’Dea, a junior French, Chinese and international business triple major, who ran unopposed, won the Business College’s vacant Senate position.

Uncertified freshman Kelly Monro beat four other candidates to represent uncertified students on the Senate.

The College of Education’s seat remains empty, as no one ran for the position.

The five elected to the Senate will serve through the end of the semester.