The Harald Hyllseth and Devon Holze campaign

LUKE HOLLISTER | The Daily Evergreen

Harald Hyllseth talks about how he wants to prioritize listening and responding to students.

BAILEY CAMPBELL, Evergreen reporter

Harald Hyllseth and Devon Holze, who have five years of ASWSU experience between them, are running under the slogan, “embracing our communities.” Holze said it’s the promise to be there, listen and act.

Hyllseth, who currently serves as the College of Communication senator, said they want to amplify the student voice by going to students, rather than waiting to be approached. Holze, a College of Arts and Sciences senator, added they want to be faces in the community by showing up to meetings and events to participate in conversations happening on campus.

“We don’t want to show up and say, ‘We know what you need,’” Hyllseth said. “We want to hear each community’s specific needs.”

Hyllseth and Holze said they hope to improve collaboration with the Graduate and Professional Student Association on projects that affect the whole campus. They also aim to increase outreach to first-year students through the Residence Hall Association.

Holze explained that the nature of a university, with students coming and going each year, makes it hard to predict what they will want and need.

Holze

“Culture changes quickly on a college campus,” she said.

Hyllseth and Holze have plans for progress in ASWSU. They said they want to expand the ASWSU communication team to reach a range of students on campus, and they are considering moving the executive and legislative offices to the first floor of the CUB, to be more prevalent and connected. Hyllseth and Holze want ASWSU to empower the student body.

“WSU is at a crucial point for change,” Hyllseth said.

Both coming from families of Cougs, Hyllseth and Holze hope to revitalize the Cougar spirit. They aim to support student-run initiatives and community events, while representing all WSU students.

“There is not just one way to define being a Coug,” Hyllseth said.

The two come from opposite academic corners of WSU. Holze is double-majoring in math and political science. Hyllseth is studying communication. They said that their differences make them a more well-rounded team.

Hyllseth and Holze started as friends, both being involved in ASWSU. Holze said she never imagined running with anyone other than Hyllseth.

“I noticed the work I did and the work he did,” she said, “and saw what we can do together.”