Yoga studio to provide free Iyengar-style classes

Owner, instructor to inspire, inform new students at no cost

Jeri Hudak, owner of Moscow Yoga Center, demonstrates the Warrior II pose Monday night at Moscow Yoga Center. This is one of the many poses that Jeri teaches beginners during the free community yoga classes offered by the Moscow Yoga Center on the first Saturday of each month.

KIERSTEN BUTTERWORTH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

SAM SCHMITKE, Evergreen reporter

The Moscow Yoga Center will provide a free yoga session every Saturday at the beginning of each month, starting Saturday at 11 a.m.

As the semester begins, many students might hope to make time in their schedule to become more flexible and centered.

Jeri Hudak, the owner of the Moscow Yoga Center, said yoga can help to accomplish both of these goals. She is also one of the center’s five yoga instructors.

Hudak has also been practicing yoga for over 40 years. She said these classes focus on the practice of Iyengar yoga.

“The main idea of Iyengar Yoga is to work on alignment, strength and flexibility,” Hudak said.

She said the practice is named for a yogi in India. Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar passed away about four years ago and would have been 100 this year, Hudak said.

Hudak also teaches at the Latah Recovery Center in Moscow and pointed out that you don’t have to be recovering from an injury to practice some free yoga.

“Iyengar yoga uses props, such as blankets, ropes and chairs,” Hudak said.

This makes it easy for anyone with beginner to expert experience to work on yoga. Anyone can be practiced anywhere and at any chosen pace.

“I love yoga and have loved it since high school,” she said. “I really want everyone to love yoga too. I want people to experience and just enjoy the practice.”

Hudak said she hopes that the free classes will provide an introduction to yoga and that people fall in love too with the practice. She also points out that yoga is a free way to exercise and gain flexibility without realizing it.

Anyone can experience yoga with Hudak and her other instructors to develop the knowledge needed to practice in your room, at the gym or in the studio.

The Moscow Yoga Center is located at 525 S Main St, Moscow.

SAM SCHMITKE, Evergreen reporter

Sam Schmitke is a public relations major with an emphasis in risk and crisis communication from Kent. She recently joined the Life staff as a reporter.