Knit into warm weather with the Cabin Fever Spin-In

Yarn and fiber potluck, sales and community 9 a.m.–4 p.m. March 9
COURTESY OF SHELLEY STONE
Attendees at a past Cabin Fever Spin-In at The Yarn Underground.

Shelley Stone, The Yard Underground owner, has been organizing since 2020 the annual Cabin Fever Spin-In, an event featuring more than 18 vendors, a raffle, a potluck and different demonstrations to welcome in spring.

Occurring from 9 a.m.–4 p.m. March 9 at the Latah County Fairgrounds, the Spin-In will have a community filled with yarn, fiber, knitting and other cozy things to fill the day, Stone said. The event is free to attend, except for a $2 suggested donation to the event at the door.

Stone said the environment creates a welcoming community for people of all different backgrounds and viewpoints.

“Fiber people are the nicest people you find anywhere … They’re like, ‘Oh, you need some help. Let me show you how I do that,’” Stone said. “I like to help remind people that we’re all just people and a community and we can support each other.”

With all of the different vendors, there will not be just one kind of service or item being sold at the Spin-In.

Stone sells spinning wheels and teaches attendees how to spin on wheel looms. Even then, that is not all the Spin-In has to offer.

“There’s a fleece sale that happens too,” Stone said. “We got the adjoining slightly separate foyer part of the fairgrounds as well. So the fleece people will be right in there. You can buy raw fleece and talk to the person who has the sheep, which is really fun.”

The different fiber arts-related activities bring people from all over the region to join in, Stone said. People from Idaho, Montana and Spokane come to participate in the Spin-In.

Even with everything going on for the day, Stone likes to say that her set-up and way of organizing is a “free and no rules kind of time.”

Though Stone does not like rules, she said there is still a structure to all of the events, which makes it a comfortable and welcoming environment.

“There’s a big room and we’ve got vendors around the outside and a little bit of vendors in the middle. Then I kind of make a ring of demonstrations. There’s an outer ring of vendors and inner ring of demonstrators and everybody can go anywhere, and whenever they want,” Stone said.