Five kilometers of dogs

Socialize, run through Pullman and raise money at Canine Canter 5K Fun Run
COURTESY OF JADYN DENHAM
Participants at a past Canine Canter 5K Fun Run.

Dogs, dog owners and non-dog owners alike will run throughout Pullman for the Annual Canine Canter 5K Fun Run, returning Saturday. The Fun Run will start and end at McGee Park in Pullman.

The WSU College of Veterinary Medicine is organizing and hosting the Fun Run, for which all proceeds raised through registration will go to the Whitman County Humane Society.

The top three finishers of the Fun Run will receive prizes. Some dog owners and their dogs will don costumes for a costume contest, with the winning duo also receiving a prize.

Jadyn Denham, Canine Club secretary and third-year CVM student, is in charge of the Fun Run. She said the event is an opportunity for more people to learn about WCHS.

“It’s important for a lot of reasons,” Denham said. “One of which being the fundraiser for the Humane Society to support them locally. Two, it’s just an event that brings a lot of people from the veterinary school together, and every year, we’re trying to get more outreach and involvement to the rest of the college and community at large.”

WCHS chooses how they use the donations for animals and shelter operations, Denham said.

About 70 people signed up for last year’s fun run, which raised approximately $1,400, Denham said. This year’s fundraising goal is about $1,200, and approximately 60 people signed up through early registration. She has heard many people will opt for late registration.

Chloe Hoover, former Canine Club officer and third-year CVM student, helped organize last year’s Fun Run and plans to participate this year. She said she ran with her Bernese Mountain Dog, Remy, in 2022 and enjoyed the experience.

Everyone is welcome to participate, Hoover said. Last year, some members of a local running group participated.

“I love how many people it brings together to run,” Denham said.

Participants arrive and check in before receiving a shirt if they ordered one, Hoover said. They then receive a map and number.

Participants who did not arrive for early check-in can check in at 8 a.m., Denham said. People may interact with representatives of WCHS and Fun Run sponsor Royal Canin until the event starts at 8:30 a.m.

Some participants finish the Fun Run quickly for prizes, while others chill and socialize with fellow dog enthusiasts, Denham said.

COURTESY OF JADYN DENHAM
Two costume contest participants at a past Canine Canter 5K Fun Run.

Many participants enter the costume contest, a fun addition to the Fun Run, Hoover said. For participants with dogs, the costume contest is not required but encouraged. Costume contest participants and their dogs arrive in costumes that usually match, and all duos get a photo taken of them.

Canine Club officers vote for the best duo, Denham said.

“My favorite part is seeing the dog-owner duos dressed up,” Denham said.

Royal Canin is a company known for producing prescription pet food, Denham said. The company supplies the prizes and decides what they will be.

Royal Canin usually awards winners with merchandise and local business gift cards, but awarded last year’s first place runner a dog ancestry test, Denham said. Canine Club sponsors the costume contest prize, which is usually a Pups & Cups Cafe gift card and a dog toy.

The Fun Run is an unofficial kickoff to the CVM Open House, which begins at about 10 a.m. Saturday, Denham said.

“It’s an unofficial kickoff for [Family Weekend] stuff through the vet school specifically. The Canine Club, afterwards, does a table at the CVM Open House the same day. A lot of the vet students do the race, so it serves as the unofficial kickoff,” Hoover said. “It’s a good socializing event, not only within the vet school but the whole WSU community.”