WSU begins indoor season Saturday

Cougars head to two different locations for first meet of 2019

WSU begins indoor season Saturday

Then-redshirt sophomore sprinter Tierney Silliman ,left, and then-sophomore sprinter Jordyn Tucker race neck and neck down the track during their 60-meter dash heat Jan. 19 at the Indoor Practice Facility.

KATIE ARCHER, Evergreen reporter

The WSU track and field teams start their indoor season on Saturday, in Nampa, Idaho and Seattle, Washington.

The Cougars heading to Nampa will compete in the Bronco Invite in the Jacksons Indoor Track at the Idaho Sports Center.

The field events will start the Bronco Invite with men’s high jump at 8 a.m. followed by the men’s weight throw and women’s shot put at 8:30 a.m. The field events wrap up with the men’s and women’s triple jump. The running events start at 9:45 a.m. with the masters 800 and wrap up with the women’s and men’s 4×400-meter relays.

The Cougars heading to Seattle will compete in the UW Indoor Preview at the Dempsey Indoor. They face other Pac-12 schools as well as non-conference schools in this meet.

At the UW Indoor Preview meet, women’s pole vault, women’s long jump, men’s long jump, and women’s weight throw are the first field events all starting at 9 a.m. The running events also start at 9 a.m., beginning with the women’s 60-meter hurdles qualifying round followed by the men’s 60-meter hurdles qualifying round. The running events finish with the women’s and men’s 4×400-meter relays.

The schedules for both the Bronco Invite and the UW Indoor Preview meets are tentative.

The Cougars will return to Seattle to compete in the Dempsey Indoor facility five more times this season as well as for the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Indoor Championships Feb. 22-23.

Next weekend, the WSU track and field teams will be in Pullman to host the WSU Indoor on Jan. 18 and 19 and the WSU Indoor Open on Jan. 20. All meets take place at the WSU Indoor Track Facility.

KATIE ARCHER, Evergreen reporter

Katie Archer is a junior multimedia journalism and public relations major from Corvalis, Ore., she has been to 27 states.